Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > Flesh Colour?
TOPIC: Flesh Colour?
PM I am a spambot
Standard User
Flesh Colour?
I am a spambot
22nd May 2018 10:05:13

I will soon be in need of another flesh colour for north European soldiers.  I used to use Humbrol acylic 255 'Matt Peach', which, in my opinion, gives an excellent colour, but doesn't seem to last very long in its pot before becoming barely or non-useable.  I have been trying Vallejo '70.928 Light Flesh' but it seems slightly pale, even for 6mm Russians.  Has anyone used the Coat D'Arms 213 'Flesh'?  If so, does it give a reasonable flesh colour?

Has anyone any other recommendations for an acrylic flesh colour?

At present, most of my stuff is receiving a white undercoat and a slight ink wash after painting.  Where I am, I can get artist's materials about 45 minutes away, but any modelling paints have to come mail order.

Thank you in anticipation.

PM rsjahn
Standard User
Flesh Colour?
rsjahn
22nd May 2018 02:36:14

I'm using Vallejo 70.815, "Basic Skintone" - undercoat a very light grey, "Nut Brown" ink from Newton for the wash. I find the color with the ink convincing, like sun-tanned.

PM chopperboydan
Standard User
Flesh Colour?
chopperboydan
23rd May 2018 03:29:26

I use an dark earth undercoat humbrol spray, then its wargames foundry flesh , followed by a brown ink wash and then wargames foundry light flesh for nose and cheeks :)

USUTHU!

PM I am a spambot
Standard User
Flesh Colour?
I am a spambot
23rd May 2018 05:29:04

Thank you very much indeed for your replies.

+rsjahn - I will investigate Vallego 70.815 'Basic Skintone'.  I have a nasty feeling that the light and tanned flesh Vallejo paints I bought previously might be intended for paint jobs on 28mm figures where you use 2 or 3 different shades of paint for flesh on the same face.

+chopperboydan - Wow!  I am impressed.  I must admit that my 6mm figures don't get such detailed attention.

PM jon1066
Standard User
Flesh Colour?
jon1066
23rd May 2018 10:13:30

I went for Wargame Foundry flesh shade followed by a dab of the light

You can see the one guy who didn't get the shade and just got the light colour.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Flesh Colour?
dourpuritan
23rd May 2018 11:04:06

I use Vallejo Flat Flesh, a bit darker than Basic Skintone, but on my travels I have noticed that north European continentals tan much better than the average Brit owing to the continental climate which results in longer periods of sunshine than the British maritime climate. However, anyone who works outdoors is going to tan up purely from exposure to natural light.

A little goes a long way

PM I am a spambot
Standard User
Flesh Colour?
I am a spambot
25th May 2018 06:55:34

Thanks, dourpuritan, that is another to add to the list.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Flesh Colour?
dourpuritan
25th May 2018 01:33:10

As an addendum I have just discovered the delights of Reikland Flesh Shade from Games Workshop. This has worked well on some 15mm figures I am painting at the moment, but I would hesitate to use it on 6mm as the facial area to work with is too small and the shade would probably swamp what has already been painted. Much better to use a dab of your flesh paint of choice over a black or brown undercoat, i.e. a dab on the nose, cheeks, chin and ears to give the impression of facial features.

A little goes a long way

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by Mort53
20th May 2024

Paint for Pay by wargameGary
18th May 2024

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by LEmpereur
18th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
17th May 2024

New GNW scenario book by hwiccee
17th May 2024