Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Polemos Rules > Polemos Rules Question
TOPIC: Polemos Rules Question
PM JRR
Standard User
Polemos Rules Question
JRR
30th Jun 2015 01:59:12

Hi, after doing a little bit of wargaming I have decided to start doing 6mm. I'm fairly interested in either Ancients, ECW or Napoleonics and I was wondering how hard are the Polemos rules to learn and play?

Generally I either play with a few friends or sometimes alone at my house and I want some rules that are quick to learn and easy to play, do the Polemos rules fit this? 

Thanks

PM Robert F
Standard User
Polemos Rules Question
Robert F
30th Jun 2015 02:21:26

Easy peasey lemon squizey. 

PM Saurocet
Standard User
Polemos Rules Question
Saurocet
1st Jul 2015 01:18:04

I have copies of ECW and SPQR.  I've tried to learn them on my own.  Overall, I believe they are very easy, but they are not (in my opinion) very traditional wargames rules. Sometimes I will read a section and think I know what it means, play the game by myself and realize it doesn't work that way, and then re-read the section.  I had to learn to take the rules quite literally.  

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Polemos Rules Question
dourpuritan
1st Jul 2015 07:52:06

I think the Polemos ECW rules have some fascinating concepts,e.g. when conducting a charge cavalry and their opponents use ranged combat factors to determine whether the charge will get in and what state the cavalry will be in when they contact. The large base sizes allow troops to be set out in such a way that identical numbers of pike and shot on a base can be shown to represent pike heavy, shot heavy or a 50:50 mix. There are also some fabulous Total Battle Miniatures availanble for this period in 6mm, including a complete walled town for that ECW siege you've always wanted to do.

A little goes a long way

PM JRR
Standard User
Polemos Rules Question
JRR
1st Jul 2015 09:09:17

Thanks guys, I will definitely look to get into Polemos ECW and Ancients. Now to buy some models and paint them up!

PM auerstalt
Standard User
Polemos Rules Question
auerstalt
26th Apr 2018 09:11:49

Greetings,

I'm new to the GNW Polemos rule set and have a couple of questions concerning the charts and modifiers.

1.  Ga Pa infantry show a [0 or charge] for long range combat so does this mean they have a 0 modifier with a +2 for charging?  and if so, what is the difference then from the 'charging infantry' line which also says 'charging'.  In the close combat modifiers it says: 'To defensive factors if raw or levy troops, or offensive factors if levy'.  Is this a typo as it would seem raw and levy class troops would be -1.  Or am I reading this wrong?

Thanks in advance,

David

PM hwiccee
Standard User
Polemos Rules Question
hwiccee
27th Apr 2018 03:15:24

Hi David,

Ok so in the rules charging is treated as a kind of firing/attack and use the same kind of procedure but with different factors. The charge factors are listed at the bottom of the chart I think you are looking at.

So Ga Pa infantry have a factor of 0 if firing at long range at something. But looking at the bottom of the table you will see 'normal' Ga Pa infantry have a factor of 4 if charging but only against infantry. In both cases they would take this factor add or subtract any of the firing/charging modifers that might apply and add a D6. The opposing unit uses it's long range defensive factor, usually 3, and does the same. Not surprisngly the Swedish players usually choose to charge rather than fire but.......

You then compare the totals on the charge test table if the Ga Pa are charging or the effects of firing table if they are firing. If the Ga Pa unit is still charging, it might stop, it is possible the defending unit, it might not be able to, will be able to fire effectively at the chargers. In which case you do a firing test using their close range defensive factors plus mods and a D6 with the results on the effects of firing. Assuming this has not stopped the charge there will then be a close combat in which the Ga Pa will get the +2 charging modifier, along with anything else that might apply.

For charging infantry they do not have a long range fire factor and only a small close range offensive fire factor, i.e. 1. The idea is that these guys only have a scattering of missle weapons and so are not really capable of putting out any significant fire. They do though have  reasonable charge factor, if you look to the bottom of the table you will see it is 3. So nearly always these will only charge as firing will be very ineffective. Also as the Ga Pa infantry are often better quality and Determined they are more likely to charge successfully compared to CI who tend to be low quality and have smaller factors.

On the firing/charging modifiers you might notice that their is a similar difference between Veteran and Elite troops but in this case with pluses. The idea behind this is that quality is more important when under threat than when threatening. So you have to be especially good/bad to get a plus/minus when attacking in 'distance' fighting.  While if you look at the close combat factors you will see quality counts for more & similar when defending against 'distance' fighting.

I hope that all makes sense but if not then please ask again.

Nick

PM auerstalt
Standard User
Polemos Rules Question
auerstalt
28th Apr 2018 03:49:56

Nick,

Thanks for the response and yes you helped!  For some reason I wasn't 'seeing' the Testing to Charge numbers as the units values.  Always good to talk with more experienced players.  Thanks again.

David

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Little battles with Ancients by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by Lanksta
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by peter
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by bushs
18th Apr 2024