> Forums
Reply
1
> General > BaccStarter > Epic Black Powder
TOPIC: Epic Black Powder
PM Ascarin
Standard User
Posts: 40
Epic Black Powder
Ascarin
21st Oct 2022 02:05:54

I'm coming back to the forum after an early two year hiatus where I've been concentration on other projects.

 

I'm keen on the Napoleonic Period and have bought the Epic Waterloo French set. However it doesn't feel quite epic enough! I'd like to play this in 6mm. Has anyone had any success with this, also how did you go about basing your miniatures. I'd like to keep them as realistically based as possible. I.e. 3 ranks for French etc. Able to form a nice square and the like.


PM jon1066
Standard User
Posts: 101
Epic Black Powder
jon1066
26th Oct 2022 08:43:02

Don't get hung up on "realism".  Why is three ranks deep realistic when the battalion is only 20 columns wide? 

If you are going with black powder then think about how big a table and how big a battalion in line you want and work back from there.  So let's swap inches for centimeters?  A battalion is 12 cm wide in line so make it up with 4 bases 3 cm wide?  Sounds too fiddly for 6 mm. However you can represent all the formations with two bases.  Back to back is in square, close together back to front is assault column, spread out back to front is march column side by side is in line.  So I would suggest going with the classic 60 by 30 mm.  Another advantage is that it is compatable with a lot of other games should you decide to either sell on your collection or try some different rules.

 


PM steve_holmes_11
Standard User
Posts: 17
Epic Black Powder
steve_holmes_11
12th Nov 2022 02:03:11

I've based 6mm figures on 40mm frontage bases (The sizes nicked from DBA / WRG).

    Infantry 20mm deep, 4 strips 2 deep.

    Cavalry 30mm deep, 6 or 7 figures per base.

    Artillery 40mm deep, one gun per base.

I use 4 bases per regular size unit, 2 for smalls and 6 for large.

Use half the publushed movement scales.


1
 

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Egyptian Chariots by peter
29th Sep 2026

Turnbacks on British SYW Soldiers by peter
29th Sep 2026

Turnbacks on British SYW Soldiers by Wallenstein
28th Sep 2026

Formatting has returned! by MicroScouse
26th Sep 2026

Insertion Tools by David Kay
25th Sep 2026

UPCOMING SHOWS

The Other Partizan (Newark Showground, Newark)
11th Oct 2026

Fiasco (Royal Armouries, Leeds)
25th Oct 2026

Warfare (Farnborough Exhibition Centre)
14th Nov 2026-15th Nov 2026

Battleground (Stockton on Tees)
29th Nov 2026

LATEST RELEASES

miss - miss


WBT49 -  Churchill NA75WBT49
Churchill NA75

WGP88 - JgPzVI FerdinandWGP88
JgPzVI Ferdinand

WGP53V - PzVG Panther veteransWGP53V
PzVG Panther veterans

WGG06 - sIG33 auf berge HetzerWGG06
sIG33 auf berge Hetzer