Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > BaccStarter > Epic Black Powder
TOPIC: Epic Black Powder
PM Ascarin
Standard User
Epic Black Powder
Ascarin
21st Oct 2022 02:05:54

I'm coming back to the forum after an early two year hiatus where I've been concentration on other projects.

I'm keen on the Napoleonic Period and have bought the Epic Waterloo French set. However it doesn't feel quite epic enough! I'd like to play this in 6mm. Has anyone had any success with this, also how did you go about basing your miniatures. I'd like to keep them as realistically based as possible. I.e. 3 ranks for French etc. Able to form a nice square and the like.

PM jon1066
Standard User
Epic Black Powder
jon1066
26th Oct 2022 08:43:02

Don't get hung up on "realism".  Why is three ranks deep realistic when the battalion is only 20 columns wide? 

If you are going with black powder then think about how big a table and how big a battalion in line you want and work back from there.  So let's swap inches for centimeters?  A battalion is 12 cm wide in line so make it up with 4 bases 3 cm wide?  Sounds too fiddly for 6 mm. However you can represent all the formations with two bases.  Back to back is in square, close together back to front is assault column, spread out back to front is march column side by side is in line.  So I would suggest going with the classic 60 by 30 mm.  Another advantage is that it is compatable with a lot of other games should you decide to either sell on your collection or try some different rules.

PM steve_holmes_11
Standard User
Epic Black Powder
steve_holmes_11
12th Nov 2022 02:03:11

I've based 6mm figures on 40mm frontage bases (The sizes nicked from DBA / WRG).

Infantry 20mm deep, 4 strips 2 deep.

Cavalry 30mm deep, 6 or 7 figures per base.

Artillery 40mm deep, one gun per base.

I use 4 bases per regular size unit, 2 for smalls and 6 for large.

Use half the publushed movement scales.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by milopea
8th May 2024

1066 and all that by pushing.tin
6th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by Rob Thorn
6th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
5th May 2024

ANTIETAM 6mm by horrorninja29@yahoo.co.uk
5th May 2024