Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Was Tolstoi daltonic?
TOPIC: Was Tolstoi daltonic?
Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
Was Tolstoi daltonic?
ironass
4th Apr 2020 10:15:31

Ladies and Gentlemen, a new debate at home in those shiny days of confinement (anything seems to turn into a debate BTW), me reading that masterpiece War and Peace (which I read when young in Spanish) in English (Oxford Edition)... the master says French Dragoons wore blue... ahemmm...Book Three Part One  page 700... everybody knows French Dragoons wore medium/dark green... WHY  not a footnote by the editor translator or the ministry of culture saying he was drunk that day, or he was daltonic, or knew nothing about uniforms!... It spoiled a bit the read and so I said aloud... I was immediatly corrected by wife and daughter who defends Tolstoi by the simple argument "you do not mess with Tolstoi"... what do you think?

Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
Was Tolstoi daltonic?
LEmpereur
4th Apr 2020 07:37:35

IronAss,

We think that you are lucky to have this high level of discussion and brave to ready big books like that and in an other langage than yours!

About Tolstoi... being Russian, We would look into alcoholism!

About the blue dragons... may be some US light dragons of 1812... may be !

;-)

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
Was Tolstoi daltonic?
ironass
4th Apr 2020 08:18:33

In 1812 at Smolensk?... maybe not sire... he was referring by ear maybe (just a supposition) to some cavalry outfit Allied to the French... only rational explanation... but French Dragoons? OMG!... thanks for the comment... vodka not excluded though...

PM Harlequin
Standard User
Was Tolstoi daltonic?
Harlequin
5th Apr 2020 01:21:07

No, not colour blind. Tolstoy didn't have access to the Internet, so he couldn't research the uniforms! He wasn't at the battles of 1812.

It's probably that Tolstoy simply presumed that the French were all dressed in blue (which is what he would have observed at Sebastopol).

As for "War and Peace", read it many times. It was the BBC series back in the nineteen seventies that really got me in to this period, when I was 15 years old.

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
Was Tolstoi daltonic?
ironass
5th Apr 2020 07:31:18

Thank for an interesting comment Harlequin. You have several points there. I have a copy of the Sevastopol Sketches and understand your reasoning... French wore blue... and that's that. Also from a writers point of view if he shoud have said Green it would have been confusing for his Russian readers as Green was the main colour of the Russians uniforms. All this analitics are positive.... but I am debating at home another slightly different point: Ok for whatever reason Tolstoi wrote Blue Clad French Dragoons... but we know they wore Green. What benefits the work War&Peace more ... to keep editions coming with that mistake ... or editing the next editions and simply say Green instead of Blue?... we are talking about author rights to be wrong and stick to it... or be corrected for the sake of authenthicity. The debate is raging at home!

PM Eric.Henderson
Standard User
Was Tolstoi daltonic?
Eric.Henderson
5th Apr 2020 02:23:12

I don't think it needs to be changed. It is possible Tolstoi either thought the uniforms were blue or decided to say they were blue in order to make it clear for the reader what was going on; on the other hand given the context (a young officer describing a confusing cavalry action) maybe the dragoons were not French at all but from some other nationality that was part of the Grande Armee. In any case I would not change the text but it would be nice to have a footnote pointing out the discrepancy. Maybe some reseach could identify a likely unit of blue clad dragoons from Napoleon's polyglot force!

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
Was Tolstoi daltonic?
ironass
5th Apr 2020 04:51:41

Dear Mr. Henderson, a footnote (compulsory) is my resistance last trench in this debate.

PM Eric.Henderson
Standard User
Was Tolstoi daltonic?
Eric.Henderson
9th Apr 2020 04:54:36

Sir, I admire your tenacity and sincerity!

PM njt236
Standard User
Was Tolstoi daltonic?
njt236
9th Apr 2020 07:19:54

In Spain the Dragoons were severely lacking in horses, equipment and uniforms. The uniforms had to be made of brown cloth that they found in churches and convents. Trying still to find a blue uniformed Dragoon

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

PM njt236
Standard User
Was Tolstoi daltonic?
njt236
9th Apr 2020 08:04:37

Have done a bit more research. The only contingent that fought at Smolensk alonsdide the French were the Duchy of Warsaw. Polish Chasseurs wore green uniforms, The Hussars wore dark blue dolmans. The Uhlans wore a dark blue Kurtka. The Cuirassiers wore French cuirassier uniforms in BLUE.  No dragoons. Maybe a civilian would make the mistake of seeing a Polish cuirassier and mistake his helmet for one of a dragoon. Tolstoy may have picked up on this account thereby describing, in his short novel, the curassier as a dragoon in a blue uniform

Nigel

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

LATEST FORUM POSTS

And you thought 6mm was small? by Mort53
10th May 2024

And you thought 6mm was small? by peter
10th May 2024

Camels by David Kay
10th May 2024

1066 and all that by dourpuritan
9th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by milopea
8th May 2024