Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Baccus or Irregular
TOPIC: Baccus or Irregular
PM gsayhi
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
gsayhi
5th Feb 2021 04:20:59

Hello again,

I went poking around the Internet looking up info on 6mm. I found a competitor to Baccus, a  company called Irregular. What would you say the major differences between the two are. I noticed t could place an order with irregular while Baccus isn't taking order now (but I think Irregular my be taking the orders with a large backlog just the same).. Be honest what are the +/-'s to each other's minatures?

PM Antioch
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
Antioch
5th Feb 2021 04:57:33

I think if you use google you can easily get pictures up from both companies & compare. Personal opinion is irregular are not as sharp & casting not quite as clean & a but smaller....(subjective of course) irregular casts cav boot to boot in almost a block.... baccus casts them in line... a LOT easier to paint..just snip them off & glue to mount. I ordered some irregular first...wish i had waited for baccus to open.  Others may have differnt opinions..     the Baccus FAQ section has a bit on this. 

Bob

PM Ryan
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
Ryan
5th Feb 2021 05:54:30

That and the looks. Its really down to personal preference I guess. baccus has this look that is a little dwarfish while irregulars proportions seem a bit more "normal". I nearly didnt get baccus because of that but have them for years now and am very happy. The proportions they have may look a bit weird straight on but from the angle you see them on the table while playing the perspective makes that completely invisible and they just work. (bethesda quote not intentional  :D )

PM korangar
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
korangar
5th Feb 2021 07:00:08

You might want to check out this link for a side by side comparison among 6mm miniature manufacturers:

http://www.specialfrieddice.com/articles/6mmNapoleonicComparison

While admitting that looks can be subjective, I believe that Baccus wins hands  down.  When I first started in 6mm wargaming, I actually ordered from both Irregular and Baccus.  The Irregular strips weren't bad, but as Antioch pointed out, the Baccus castings are much cleaner and the detail is much clearer.  The slightly exaggerated details on the Baccus castings also makes painting alot easier, especially for the first timer (and especially for cavalry figures).  

It's also worth noting that while Irregular offers miniatures in almost every scale, Baccus specializes in 6mm miniatures.  I think this shows in the way the sculpts are created and the way strips are packaged.  To add to what Ryan said, they just look better as finished 6mm units.  This really comes through when you compare the photos of painted and based units from each website.  (And on the subject of websites, while it stinks that the cart has to be closed for now, Baccus is one of the few wargaming miniature companies I've found that has a website that looks like it was designed sometime in this century!) 

Again, none of this means that Irregular's aren't perfectly good miniatures.  But like you, I was once a newbie to the world of 6mm and had two piles of little tin soldiers in front of me: one from Irregular and one from Baccus.  I chose Baccus and have never regretted it.

Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
LEmpereur
5th Feb 2021 08:10:51

We have got figures of the 4 manufacturers And We choose according to Our need!

We & us must buy great numbers of figures from Baccus and only trips from the others !

Baccus is the better for regimental base, the others allow to make not numerous units...

Except for Irregular as its name suggests ... is irregular in its production and this, for all these scales!

In conclusion, Baccus is the best for big units, the figures are easier to paint and base, their figures are the least fragile.

But, Gsayhi, you have to choose one of the brands because as we can see by following the link indicated by Korangar, it's difficult to mix the different productions

Follow this last link... so many here... to see lot of 6mm figures seen at the Joy of Six 2019... 

We can wait for the following one !

:-)

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

PM monk2002uk
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
monk2002uk
5th Feb 2021 08:47:45

To date, my experience with Irregular Miniatures is that orders are despatched just as quickly as ever but there are delays due to postal services. Irregular Miniatures provides some figures that are not available in the Baccus range (and vice versa of course). The differences are not noticeable on table, provided you don't mix figures from the manufacturers on the same stands. This is a generic principle IMHO, applicable across any mix of manufacturers in 6mm not just Baccus and IM.

Robert

PM Nick the Lemming
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
Nick the Lemming
5th Feb 2021 02:24:29

I can't recommend Irregular at all I'm araid - they're aptly-named, as some are little more than blobs that could be anything. When I first started wargaming decades ago, my first 6mm were Irregular; I was never satisfied with them and almost gave up wargaming in 6mm until I found Baccus. 

PM gsayhi
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
gsayhi
5th Feb 2021 10:42:55

Thank you NIck, Monk2002uk, LEmpereur, Koranger, Ryan, and Antioch for sharing. It is very kind and informative of you.

PM rbatch
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
rbatch
6th Feb 2021 03:28:00

I've used some irregular models in various stands for my WW2 Spearhead Rusian Cavalry division (which is otherwise all H&R). They do some interesting bits that no other company makes which is good for a bit of variety.

A tank battalion command stand. the truck with troops and flag is from the Irregular Spanish civil war range. The T34 with tank riders is from Heroics and Ros.

The same truck without flag plus a large cart and a few Heroics and Ros cossacks. This is the divisional comand stand. They also do HMG's on carts etc.

I find Baccus to be a bit samy (and I completely understand Peters reason for doing it , certainly my wallet is not complaining) which is fine for large formed bodies of troops up till the end of the 19th century. for the 20th century I'll mix and match from various companies to get the visual look I'm after.

Cheers,

Rhys

PM I am a spambot
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
I am a spambot
6th Feb 2021 05:58:46

Concerning Irregular Miniatures - including their 15mm and 25mm ranges - you never know whether you will be delighted with what you ordered, or be very disapointed.  Some of their sculpting is good, some less so...  Also, casting quality is variable.  Perhaps Baccus, Chariot Miniatures or Donnington can let them know about renewing worn-out moulds occaisionally?

Their 6mm figure scupting is a different style to that of Baccus.  It is less "cartoony" without the bigger head and hands.  I actually prefer the Baccus style for 6mm figures.

I have some 6mm ECW artillery pieces from Irregular that I like.  Up to now I have bought Irregular Miniatures 6mm figures mainly for fantasy, while going Baccus for historical troops.  If you ever get into 6mm fantasy, I suggest looking at Rapier Miniatures.  Their hydras are much better than the Irregular Miniatures ones.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by ChrisBBB
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by jon1066
2nd May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS