Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Baccus or Irregular
TOPIC: Baccus or Irregular
PM David Kay
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
David Kay
8th Feb 2021 09:20:05

I also use Irregular figures at 6mm for my ancient armies. I tend to find that some of their figures are nearer 5mm than 6mm which whilst not sounding a lot does make a difference. Their equipment range (across most periods) is good and they have some useful forts, castles and other scenics which I've used. As other replies have said service is usually very good.

There is also Rapier Miniatures who produce several ranges at 6mm. Their figures are very similar in size to Baccus and I've mixed them in units with no problems. Photos on my website if you are bored. Again, i've found their service to be good.

PM ChrisBBB
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
ChrisBBB
8th Feb 2021 04:48:46

I have armies by Baccus, Irregular, and Heroics & Ros.

My Irregular Greek and Serbian armies for the Balkan Wars:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127771552@N03/albums/72157710686980266

And a load of other armies:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127771552@N03/albums/72157648610078060

H&R Crimea British, 1890s Portuguese, 1877 Turks, Crimea Russians, 1897 Greeks, 1864 Danes, 1876 Serbs, 1866 Italians (Baccus ACW doing double duty as line inf for the Greeks and Danes)

Irregular 1859 Austrian line inf with H&R for the rest

Baccus Franco-Prussian War armies

I love them all. Irregular are good for the less rigid formations, and also for myriad miscellaneous bits and pieces that nobody else makes. Baccus or H&R are better for a more well-drilled and disciplined look.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles

http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1412549408869331

PM srfaruqui
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
srfaruqui
10th Feb 2021 11:13:56

The difference in sizes between the 6mm/1-300th/1-285 manufacturers is an initial hurdle in mixing up figures from different suppliers and, partly because of this, I have never bought Irregular's "regular" troops, sticking with Adler for WW2 infantry, suppoert weapons and gun crews, and Baccus for pre-20th Century.

However, Irregular do make a lot of "one-off" pieces in lots of periods that add flavour to the table-top - the general's carriage in my otherwise all-Baccus Spanish Succession army, for example. Their casting does not appear as crisp as the best Baccus, but they file down and paint up quite well. Going off on a tangent, just before Xmas I bought some of their 2mm range out of curiousity, and am in danger of becoming hooked. I expect to be able, by the end of February, to play a corps-sized (regiment/battalion tactical units) ACW game on the dining room table and STILL have room for beer glasses, snacks and the head of whoever passes out first.

BikesBrownBeer&ToySoldiers

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
dourpuritan
11th Feb 2021 07:45:52

I built up my 6mm FPW armies many years ago, before Baccus began production of that period. However, my Bavarians were slow starters, and as a result I have built this army using Baccus figures. since then I have stuck with Baccus for my Ancients (very much in a dormant state), my nascent Williamite armies (1690s), The Peninsula War and I am currently looking forward to embarking on the Wild West. 

A little goes a long way

PM rbatch
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
rbatch
12th Feb 2021 06:44:03

>The difference in sizes between the 6mm/1-300th/1-285 manufacturers is an initial hurdle in mixing up figures >from different suppliers and, partly because of this, I have never bought Irregular's "regular" troops, sticking with >Adler for WW2 infantry, support weapons and gun crews, and Baccus for pre-20th Century.

Just as an idle question, but which range are you using for your AFV's etc with Adler figures. From pictures I've seen they quite large.

PM srfaruqui
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
srfaruqui
12th Feb 2021 12:06:10

GHQ - bought in small batches over many years due to their cost, but they do look good, even after I've painted them. They are definitely larger than H&R or Baccus models, and the Adler tank riders and gun crews don't look outsize. I'd post a piccy, but I can never get that to work.......

I do rather like the look of the "unbuttoned" Baccus AFV's, but I've spent too much money for a wholesale change at this point.

BikesBrownBeer&ToySoldiers

PM lukicpz35t
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
lukicpz35t
12th Feb 2021 01:03:04

I prefer Baccus over Irregular. I only purchase Irregular for special things not offered by Baccus, like the ancient siege tower.

When I used to paint WW2, I used only GHQ, great quality, but the cost was really high. Now I don't do anymore WW2, so it's a big relief for my wallet.

PM bushs
Standard User
Baccus or Irregular
bushs
13th Feb 2021 07:55:23

Baccus WWII vehicles are larger than GHQ. That's the main reason I'm switching over to Baccus. eg Baccus PzIV is 5mm longer 3mm wider in the body than the GHQ PzIV. Plus the Baccus infantry are way better.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by Colin the Wargamer
16th May 2024

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by LEmpereur
16th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
16th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
15th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
15th May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS