Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > 6mm starting out
TOPIC: 6mm starting out
PM Bradley
Standard User
6mm starting out
Bradley
12th Feb 2016 11:39:18

Hah

I have always loved the history of the Civil war.  When you look at brigades as units not that many.  The board is going to be fun..... to make.  I can't help but set crazy goals as I work in sales lol.  i will check out the site and thanks for the info.  I will post some pictures as I finish units.  The guys are still waiting to be painted as its been super cold here and my painting area is in the garage :)  I need a petition to my wife to allow me to move my hobbies indoors!

6mm allows me to dream of Isandlawana, Waterloo, Yorktown, Shiloh, Gettysburg, Cannae etc.  I love the looks of the little guys in the pictures.  I could even see myself breaking out the Johnny Reb Rules again and using 5 bases/brigades to a regiment !  Talk about 1 to 1 scale :)

Cya

Brad

PM ChrisBBB
Standard User
6mm starting out
ChrisBBB
12th Feb 2016 12:33:10

Hi Brad,

Since you want to do Gettysburg (and quite right too), and since Fenton was kind enough to mention my Bloody Big Battles rules (BBB), let me point you towards the BBB Gettysburg scenario along with some photos of when I last played it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127771552@N03/albums/72157649403930767

Four of us fought this on a club night, all three days of the battle, in under 4 hours including set-up and breakdown.

Chris

PM Bradley
Standard User
6mm starting out
Bradley
13th Feb 2016 01:09:59

Wow that is impressive.  I am sure interest will perk up around here when I get a battle set up for people too play.  I have several friends that I have played various wargames with since I was 15.  Over 30 years of gaming.  We don't have any formal club here but we do play quite a bit.  The 6mm thing took my friends by storm.  They are like how are you going to paint those ?  How can you wargame with them ?  I like 6mm because you have very affordable army sets available for a lot of periods here and the fact that people once they have the armies can play polemos, altar of freedom, bloody big battles, warmaster just adds icing to the cake!  Get burnt out on one set move on to the next etc.

Thank you very much for the link!

Brad

PM ChrisBBB
Standard User
6mm starting out
ChrisBBB
15th Feb 2016 08:45:56

Oh yeah, 6mm is brilliant in so many ways: affordable, portable, storable. And it gives the right mass effect when you're fighting big battles.

Plenty of rulesets out there to choose from, all with different flavours and different strengths. Good luck with finding the right set for yourself and your group.

Chris

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
5th May 2024

ANTIETAM 6mm by horrorninja29@yahoo.co.uk
5th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by Rob Thorn
4th May 2024

4th May 2024

4th May 2024