Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > 1796 Austrian Infantry
TOPIC: 1796 Austrian Infantry
PM backsdrummer
Standard User
1796 Austrian Infantry
backsdrummer
13th Oct 2019 11:49:10

I was thinking that the Baccus Seven Year War British Grenadiers (SBR02) might work as 1796 Austrian infantry (vs. Bonaparte in Italy) if I filed down the tops of the grenadier's hats/helmets to make them shorter and rounder. Any suggestions as to a better plan? 

PM Henk Vervaeke
Standard User
1796 Austrian Infantry
Henk Vervaeke
13th Oct 2019 07:35:28

No, but I dearly want them. What a campaign, ideally suited for 6mm but no Austrians.... 😩

PM backsdrummer
Standard User
1796 Austrian Infantry
backsdrummer
13th Oct 2019 08:31:26

I've painted up a fair number of 1796 Austrians - in both 15mm and 28mm so I am familiar with how they look. But now I want to play larger battles and campaigns where only masses of 6mm will do. I am pretty sure the Seven Years War British can be modified fairly easily and look good. I'm going to order a pack and paint them up and we'll see. 

PM backsdrummer
Standard User
1796 Austrian Infantry
backsdrummer
13th Oct 2019 10:27:49

Mollinary: thank you for your input.

Had a look at the Belgic shako on line. It is a stove pipe shape. The Austrian hat of 1793-1796 is basically a short shako ("pillbox") with a "false front.". I've ordered the British Grenadiers and after I've modified and painted them I'll make a decision. But, I'm still hopeful.

PM backsdrummer
Standard User
1796 Austrian Infantry
backsdrummer
17th Oct 2019 10:33:36

Hello Again Mollinary. I went back and had a better - longer look and saw of course you are correct about the Belgic. I think the pictures I saw showed only the front. Anyways the Belgic is a good substitute as you said. And the rest of the uniform is a good match for the Hungarian infantry. Thank you for the tip and for being patient with me! 

I will test both the British in Belgic and the Seven Years War British Grenadiers. I may end up using both: the Belgic for the Hungarian infantry and the Grenadiers for the German infantry. 

LATEST FORUM POSTS

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by dourpuritan
28th Apr 2024

French white coat infantry in Tarleton helmets with colourful flags 1791-94 by Colin the Wargamer
27th Apr 2024

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS

LATEST RELEASES

HCNOMAD - Hail Caesar Arab Nomad ArmyHCNOMAD
Hail Caesar Arab Nomad Army

GNF11 - Ottoman Turkish FlagsGNF11