Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > Spanish Napoleonic Artillery Park
TOPIC: Spanish Napoleonic Artillery Park
PM keithabarker
Standard User
Spanish Napoleonic Artillery Park
keithabarker
22nd Mar 2015 10:36:51

I needed to use proxies to make my Spanish Napoleonic Artillery Park.

I plan to use oxen for the foot artillery and horses for the horse artillery. I tried using a modified Waggon instead of the Caisson but it looked too big. Ox Waggons EQU11, French Limbers NFR15, French Caissons NFR16, Spanish Line Infantry, Bicorne - formed NSP01

PM Cerdic
Standard User
Cerdic
30th Mar 2015 02:01:40

Nice work. Like the idea of using oxen!

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
6th Apr 2015 01:59:31

Hello Keith!

Great work, looks fantastic. I have the same figures but have not yet painted them, great insperation. I've also obtained the Austrians to use as horse artillery. If mine look half as good I'll be satisfied.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM keithabarker
Standard User
keithabarker
12th Apr 2015 02:47:58

Hi Glen,

What "Austrians to use as horse artillery"?

I'm thinking about doing a horse artillery battery for my Spanish army.

Not sure how though!

I need a crew who look like this....

BR

Keith

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
12th Apr 2015 08:59:14

Hello Keith!

I don't recall seeing that picture or shako before (for Spanish), or any mention of brown collars, cuffs, turnbacks and piping. This is certainly news to me. If I had to guess I would say these are French/Spanish. I understood the Spanish proper to wear mostly bicorns or helmets with red or blue collars, cuffs, etc.

I have chosen to have all my guners in bicorns, foot and horse. The only seperation is the train which I've picked the oxen like you for foot. For the horse I could have used the British with the helmets but I just painted a ton of them for the British.

There are two prints in Rene Chartrands Osprey book "Spanish Army of the Napoleonic Wars (2) 1808-12 that show an officer and a gunner wearing a similar Austrian style hat with the brim turned up. The only difference is the Spanish have a plume on the side and the Austrians have it in the front. Although they were probably foot artillery I thought I would use them for horse artillery train. It also seems highly probable that the uniforms of some of the artillery were at various times non regulation and there were volunteer artillery units that had their own uniforms as well.

So for me I'm using oxen for foot train, Austrians for horse and volunteer train and perhaps civilan. Sometime later I might use the British for heavy artillery train. Overall a nice mix on the table that should help give the Spanish that inconsistant look that I think looks good for them.

I've also used Austrian Landwehr formed NAU17 as Spanish city militia. They have round hats that are slighly turned up but you really can't see it in 6mm. The officer has a bicorne! I've painted them and they look the part to me.

If you really want to use the figures in your print I can only suggest you use French and super glue a plume on the side.

Hope this helps in some way.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
12th Apr 2015 11:24:20

Hello Keith!

Ah found your boys in shako with the side plume in the other Spanish book 1793-1808 except I think  everything brown in your picture should be red. Perhaps the brown in your picture is suppose to be red but just looks brown to me.  Anyway regardless of the trim let us know which figures you pick and any modifications you make.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM keithabarker
Standard User
keithabarker
15th Apr 2015 04:31:59

Hi Glen!

Yes, you are right, the picture is a little too brown, it should of course be red.

Even Knötel has the same shako for spanish horse artillery. This time a bit more red than brown.

BR
Keith

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
16th Apr 2015 01:07:08

Hello Keith!

Good find, except I note the plume is on the other side! Good luck sorting that out.

Best regards,

Glenn

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Pre 1st May by DuncanWB
23rd Apr 2024

Save the Date! BBB BASH DAY V, Daventry, Sunday 19 May 2024 by ChrisBBB
23rd Apr 2024

Pre 1st May by dourpuritan
23rd Apr 2024

Pre 1st May by njt236
22nd Apr 2024

Renaissance Turks? by Rittmeister_Krefeld