Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > Spear carriers?
TOPIC: Spear carriers?
PM DuncanWB
Standard User
Spear carriers?
DuncanWB
29th Aug 2022 05:16:00

I'm looking for suggestions that I could use for ammunition carriers for javelin and bow armed skirmishers. Those guys can't keep shooting for ever without resupply! I've got mules and a couple of civilians with sacks and buckets for other forms of resupply, but I haven't seen anything with bundles of long pointy things.

My main interest is classical era ancients, but medieval serfs, japanese peasants, colonial era bearers or anyone carrying stuff that could be painted up (with minimal remodelling by me) would be great. Any thoughts gratefully received.     

Altera Restat

PM Leafs87
Standard User
Spear carriers?
Leafs87
30th Aug 2022 08:24:45

Hey Duncan, 

You could always proxy the bolt thrower teams (ARR09) as your ammunition carriers/armorers. Base them with  piles of javelins made of 22 gauge wire. You can pile them up on the ground, in bins you've made yourself, or have them leaning against weapon racks/poking out of the ground. Would love to see the results, however you end up doing it :) 

PM David Kay
Standard User
Spear carriers?
David Kay
31st Aug 2022 07:55:05

Yes the artillerists make good support workers. You could also use the re-loading archer from AGR04 as the basis for others.

I use quite a lot of wagon EQU02 for my supply train. You can replace the horse with an ox and either leave the cover off and fill with bits of wire or keep the cover on (in case of bad weather).

PM DuncanWB
Standard User
Spear carriers?
DuncanWB
6th Sep 2022 08:58:25

Thank you both for some brilliant suggestions! I've rooted around in my spares and also found a slinger (with sling missing) who can help out, and for some youths of lesser stature a couple of Heroics & Ros artillerymen; but most of all I have a shopping list for Colours... :)

It might take me a month or so, but once I get the bases made up I'll try to work out how to post some photos.

Altera Restat

PM David Kay
Standard User
Spear carriers?
David Kay
15th Sep 2022 07:51:54

I also had some 3d quivers printed for me by Awesome3d Print to convert some other figures to archers. You could always get some printed for your carriers.

Looking forward to the photos.

PM DuncanWB
Standard User
Spear carriers?
DuncanWB
8th Oct 2022 04:01:59

Spanish caetrati with spear carriers. I love using the space on the bases of light troops for little vignettes...  I'll try to do some archers next.

Altera Restat

PM DuncanWB
Standard User
Spear carriers?
DuncanWB
16th Oct 2022 07:40:57

Spanish caetrati with spear carriers

Altera Restat

PM DuncanWB
Standard User
Spear carriers?
DuncanWB
16th Oct 2022 07:42:22

Can people see the picture?

Altera Restat

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Spear carriers?
dourpuritan
16th Oct 2022 11:23:51

Yes I can. I particularly like the way the bundles are being unloaded from the carts.

A little goes a long way

PM DuncanWB
Standard User
Spear carriers?
DuncanWB
16th Oct 2022 12:46:58

The bundles of spears are made from an old toothbrush.

Altera Restat

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by jon1066
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by dourpuritan
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
1st May 2024