Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > Spartacus War Help
TOPIC: Spartacus War Help
PM Curbic
Standard User
Spartacus War Help
Curbic
16th Feb 2023 04:02:06

So I am looking for any recommendations for models to use for the slave army that Spartacus led against the Rome Republic. I know their slaves were from all conquered areas and so there probably isn't a definitive range to go with. I figured I would ask though anyways and see if anyone had any knowledge of Spartacus' army composition or if anyway to portray a slave army could be done.

CBC

PM Rakkasan
Standard User
Spartacus War Help
Rakkasan
17th Feb 2023 03:42:11

I don't think they would have their native dress (armor, weapons, shields) since they are slaves/gladiatores.  Therefore, it would be a mix of AGR03, 04, and 10 for the light foot or maybe even the bulk of the force with a mix of figures from AGR09, peltasts, or AIT01. For formed foot, a mix of AIT01 and ARR008.  Cavalry could be a mix of AIT03, ARR05, AMA05, and maybe AMO03 or AGE05.  The bottom line is that most of the forces would be unarmored or irregualry armored and generic in look.   

PM Leafs87
Standard User
Spartacus War Help
Leafs87
18th Feb 2023 10:16:11

Hi Curbic, 

The Greek (AGR) line would be a good place to start, but I'd also take a look at the Dacians (ADA), Celts (ACE), Moors (AMO), and Spanish (ASP) lines. These are what I would (and plan to) use for generic ancients proxies in projects such as yours. 

Enjoy! 

PM peter
Administrator
Spartacus War Help
peter
28th Feb 2023 11:39:57

Good advice so far.  Given their victories over Roman armies, I'd expect a lot of them to be wearing captured Roman gear.   The idea that all these slaves suddenly reverted to their native dress and equipment is fanciful to say the least.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by MattiT
29th Apr 2024

Price rise and the Golden Ticket by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by njt236
28th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS