Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > Gauls Soldurii
TOPIC: Gauls Soldurii
PM philemon
Standard User
Gauls Soldurii
philemon
28th Apr 2023 02:49:24

Hi,

For the period ~50BC, I am looking for Gallics Soldurii.
Those were elite mercenary mostly serving directly under the main command in battles.
From what I could found on the net, they were somewhat heavy warriors equiped of chainmails and swords, sometimes with some javelins in addition, protected by long oval shields and helmets.
From the Celtic range I could not find obvious match. Perhaps the Spanish Scrutarii (ASP 01) would be a match, but not sure. What do you think would fit the best for Gauls Soldurii ?

Cheers,
Bruno.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Gauls Soldurii
dourpuritan
29th Apr 2023 07:30:12

I would suggest the Roman Republican triarii. The shields are right and the armour was directly copied from the Gauls. Maybe remove the helmet crest to make them look different from the Marian legionaries of Caesar. Another alternative might be Successor imitation legionaries, but they are wearing the Macedonian (Thessalian) style hemet. 

A little goes a long way

PM Leafs87
Standard User
Gauls Soldurii
Leafs87
29th Apr 2023 02:36:39

As dourpuritan has suggested, the ARR02 - Triarii make for good proxies for this period. I've recently done as he said above in removing the crest from some leftover strips, and have also painted over their chainmail to give the look of linen tunic instead. They will be, funnily enough, part of my Carthaginian infantry corps. My opinion is that despite how detailed and accurate these minis are, they are small enough to be proxied into any pretty much anything you like so long as you get creative and paint them well.

I do think ACE01 - Celtic Infantry and ACE07 - Celtic Infantry are solid options. A little extra gold/bronze on their hair for the look of helms; silver and a dark wash for the look of mail over their tunics. Nothing a little wizardry can't take care of. 

PM philemon
Standard User
Gauls Soldurii
philemon
30th Apr 2023 05:19:38

Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice.
This is what I was somewhat guessing but not that sure so far, you cnfirmed that was an (the?) option.
I will go with rectified Triarii.

Cheers,

Bruno.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by MattiT
29th Apr 2024

Price rise and the Golden Ticket by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by peter
29th Apr 2024