Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > Revolutionary Napoleon period
TOPIC: Revolutionary Napoleon period
PM lekw
Standard User
Revolutionary Napoleon period
lekw
18th Aug 2015 10:27:59

Was wondering if anyone does this period and some thoughts on proxies. The Prussians and French are covered and I think I can use 1806 Prussians for Saxons and Italians maybe SYW for Russians? Now for Austrians I have no idea? 

PM peter
Administrator
peter
20th Aug 2015 09:46:59

I think we may be struggling with the Austrians.  The combination of headgear and shoulder-slung pack makes them very distinctive and tricky to match up with a reasonable alternative.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM Baron Clenawly
Standard User
Baron Clenawly
20th Aug 2015 11:03:21

I've been reading a little about the Russian general Suvarov and his campaigns in the Alps. I think the Russian uniforms of the time were very similiar to the Prussian ones so this may be a better option for you.

PM lekw
Standard User
lekw
22nd Aug 2015 02:46:27

Funny I actually saw a painting of Suvarov crossing the Alps with his army in Moscow art museum which is what got me thinking about the period. That and my love for the 1806 Prussian uniforms. 

If I follow up with the project I will likely do as you suggest and use Prussians for Russians. Its a pity nothing will work for Austrians. My guess is that a specific sculpt is not planed. I think other than standard Austrian infantry everything else is at least possible. 

PM Baron Clenawly
Standard User
Baron Clenawly
22nd Aug 2015 08:05:45

If you do go ahead with your Project then could I recommend ' Eagles over the Alps' by Christopher Duffy;not easy to obtain but an excellent account  

I was looking and doing it myself but have lots of Peninsular War figures to paint yet.

PM Hohenlohe
Standard User
Hohenlohe
27th Aug 2015 03:47:03

You could do most with baccus. 1806 Prussians aren't really suitable for the revolutionary period.  They wore a different hat prior to leaving the war in 1795.  However, there are heaps of potential conversions here at baccus for other troops.

Check TMP for conversion advice on revolutionary war.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

New nomads by David Kay
29th Mar 2024

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS