Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Modelling and Conversions > Hail Caesar Crusaders Army Pack - Recommended Base Sizes
TOPIC: Hail Caesar Crusaders Army Pack - Recommended Base Sizes
PM BritTorrent
Standard User
Hail Caesar Crusaders Army Pack - Recommended Base Sizes
BritTorrent
1st Apr 2022 09:52:28

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting the Hail Caesar Crusaders Army Pack, as I'm looking to start games in this era. I notive that the compisitions have been designed by Rick Priestley himself. What base sizes are these units intended for? I know the Polemos standard is 60x30 but I was wondering if Rick intended something different for the starter packs? Especially seeing as HC has rules for formation changes etc.

PM peter
Administrator
peter
11th Apr 2022 02:51:07

The units in the army packs will work perfectly well with either 40x20 or 60x30 bases.  For a standard formed infantry unit this will mean either three smaller bases each holding four strips, or two larger ones each holding six strips.  The frontage in either case remains the same at 120mm.

I much prefer the larger bases to the fiddly and fussy 40x20 things, but some people like them.   It is your choice!

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM Leafs87
Standard User
Leafs87
11th Apr 2022 08:10:38

Hey Brit! 

I remember stressing about this when I got into the hobby.

HC is what I play, and I use (mostly) 60x30mm bases. Depth will vary depending on the unit - maybe a 60x40 for some chariots; 60x20 for smaller Roman units; maybe even 60x60 for a big ol' warband!

I have never found an issue using this base size with HC's rules, and to Peter's point, they are a bit easier to base your units on as opposed to the more cramped 40x20. (especially if you're new to the hobby)

J

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Price rise and the Golden Ticket by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by njt236
28th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by dourpuritan
28th Apr 2024

French white coat infantry in Tarleton helmets with colourful flags 1791-94 by Colin the Wargamer
27th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS

LATEST RELEASES

HCNOMAD - Hail Caesar Arab Nomad ArmyHCNOMAD
Hail Caesar Arab Nomad Army

GNF11 - Ottoman Turkish FlagsGNF11
Ottoman Turkish Flags

AMN04 - Martu/Amorite ArchersAMN04
Martu/Amorite Archers

AMN03 - Martu/Amorite JavelinmenAMN03
Martu/Amorite Javelinmen

AMN02 - Guti Arab Javelinmen, shieldAMN02