Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Modelling and Conversions > Varnish
TOPIC: Varnish
PM bushs
Standard User
Varnish
bushs
20th Apr 2023 04:08:13

Hi there,

I'm interested to know if anybody bothers to varnish their 6mm miniatures.

I'm used to varnishing 28mm and 15mm using spray on gloss coat followed by spray on matt coat.

I'd be interested to know which method you guys use to varnish your 6mm ie brush on/spray on, how many coats, type of paint, brand etc.

Regards,

Steve

PM Captain Brockman
Standard User
Varnish
Captain Brockman
20th Apr 2023 04:49:21

yes pretty much the same here too,

I use quality gloss spray first  ( for protective cover ) then  I brush matt, simply because I personaly  like the look, :-D

Gloss (Spray) I use ''HALFORDS' I figure if they are made for motor cars worth thousands of pounds tghey probby do not want to get sued because their varnish ruined a car :-D

Matt (brush)  I use AMMO ultra-matt lucky varnish

if i need to pick out any parts i want to stand out say with gold /silver etc i pick these out with Vallejo gloss

as with almost everything with wargames , everyone has their own preferance , so this is just how I do it

Valar Morghulis

PM jon1066
Standard User
Varnish
jon1066
20th Apr 2023 09:02:14

I've never varnished a mini in my life and am not going to start with 6 mm!

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Varnish
dourpuritan
21st Apr 2023 01:24:45

I usually brush on a coat of matt, then gloss on armour.

A little goes a long way

PM Rakkasan
Standard User
Varnish
Rakkasan
21st Apr 2023 03:35:19

I usually spray or brush on a gloss varnish of some sort - Pledge or whatever is available at hardware store.  I then follow up with a matt coating, spray or brush on, Galleria, AK Interactive, or  matt from a rattlecan.  I have not tried doing this through an airbrush but it is possible. 

PM Edwardus
Standard User
Varnish
Edwardus
21st Apr 2023 11:38:45

My choice is brush on a coat of Quickshade, followed by a Matt spray to take off the shine. That also helps seal in the base sand and flock.

PM bushs
Standard User
Varnish
bushs
4th May 2023 12:58:52

Thank you all for your interesting range of responses.

I'm now thinking about experimenting with the brush on matt varnish. Hopefully the modern ones are much better than the Humbrol matt varnish I used to use when I was a kid.

PM njt236
Standard User
Varnish
njt236
4th May 2023 03:13:08

Once based and flocked I've always given my 6mm a light spray of matt varnish. I'm happy with the look of the figures and it stops the grass from falling off.

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Price rise and the Golden Ticket by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by njt236
28th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by dourpuritan
28th Apr 2024

French white coat infantry in Tarleton helmets with colourful flags 1791-94 by Colin the Wargamer
27th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS

LATEST RELEASES

HCNOMAD - Hail Caesar Arab Nomad ArmyHCNOMAD
Hail Caesar Arab Nomad Army

GNF11 - Ottoman Turkish FlagsGNF11
Ottoman Turkish Flags

AMN04 - Martu/Amorite ArchersAMN04
Martu/Amorite Archers

AMN03 - Martu/Amorite JavelinmenAMN03
Martu/Amorite Javelinmen

AMN02 - Guti Arab Javelinmen, shieldAMN02