Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Modelling and Conversions > Flags for Napoleonic French
TOPIC: Flags for Napoleonic French
PM Sixdice
Standard User
Flags for Napoleonic French
Sixdice
30th Jun 2023 09:20:08

Just snipped out a flag sheet for Napoleonic French but the flags seem way too large for the poles / eagles etc.  Any suggestions as to how I can possibly put flags on Napoleonic French infantry?  Just painted and based 36 battalions - bought the flags etc. only to find they don't fit.  Hmmmm, any suggestions appreciated as to how to sort that.

PM Bryce
Standard User
Bryce
2nd Jul 2023 04:43:41

I snipped a very very small triangle off top and bottom of flag where flag wraps around  pole, then touched up with paint. But if anyone has a better idea would love to hear it.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
2nd Jul 2023 05:02:53

Unfortunately one of the French command stands does have a short staff. If you ask Baccus when you place your order to shorten the flags for you they will. You can also copy the flags on some printers at a smaller ratio. You can also take the flags to a proper copy shop and have them reduced. Some people have cut off the flag staff and replaced it with a brass one to the height they like. 

PM Captain Brockman
Standard User
Captain Brockman
4th Nov 2023 06:04:06

I remove any flag staffs  and replace with dressmakers pins, 1: I drill through the base and counter sink the underside of the base and superglue so the pin is secure and    2: where I have removed to cast flag staff i superglue to the remainder of the hand etc then a small dab of vallejo plastic putty becomes the hand holding the staff,   

once paintwork is compleated  I  base, texture, flock, only ten do I add flags/ banners , then snip off any ;Pin left and either silver of brass paint the tip...

i do the same for cavalry also, but of course this leaves a pin from the base to the tip. but when based and flocked you do not notice 

With flags/banners i always find what ever scale i have being doing there is never enough ''wrap around'  given and some of the flag is hidden..  this is why i make my own.. plus as i do not paint ''brighter'' colours, i add  between 2 or 3 per base. but of course I only do Game of Thrones, so I am not stuck with a national and regiemnt flag limitation.

Valar Morghulis

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Bloody big battles basing by Talbot
3rd May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by jon1066
3rd May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by milopea
3rd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
2nd May 2024