Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Modelling and Conversions > GNW
TOPIC: GNW
PM Peter the Swede
Standard User
GNW
Peter the Swede
4th Mar 2017 10:34:38

As the GNW range will be re-modelled in the future, and having seen the top quality re-modelling that has gone on.  I have decided that I will sell my original armies and rebuild my GNW Swedish and Danish forces.  Part of the re-modelling will be looking at making the unit base have the appearance of the period - some other examples of GNW/WSS units have really looked the part.  I have a couple of question if anyone can help:

Swedes: Where was the Livfana carried - in the centre of the Coy flags, to the left or right?

Danes - as above.

Russians - as above.

I have also decided not to buy el-cheapo acrylics any more as some units look like they have emerged from an 80s disco.  Any recommendations for acrylics in the UK?

Thanks.

PM Stenbock
Standard User
GNW
Stenbock
6th Mar 2017 09:51:46

Peter, there is a good Swedish discussion here about the subject (although there are a lot of pictures so worth a trawl through for those not versed in scandinavian or just use google translate at your own risk!, I have linked to a place in the discussion where it shows what I mean in the following statement) - in short and for most regiments the colonels standard is in the middle of the battalion formation together with 3 company flags - normally on the right hand side of these (in the other battalion there are 4 company flags). The link also discusses placement of officers, drummers, grenadiers, etc.   ​GÃ¥ PÃ¥ ​that sounds like a proper disco hit! Hope this helps!  I recommend Vallejo for acrylics, but other brands may work too! Ha det gott!

Stenbock / Per Broden

Check out my blog with some 6mm diversions - Roll a One

PM Peter the Swede
Standard User
GNW
Peter the Swede
6th Mar 2017 08:57:48

Per - awesome site!

Just out of interest what do "Pajrock"  and "Vadmal" mean?  There is a reference to a grey vadmal pajrock - which I read as grey cloth jacket, but then the text refers to blue coats in the same sentence.  GÃ¥ öl

PM njt236
Standard User
GNW
njt236
7th Mar 2017 03:06:56

Vadmal means homespun (rough cloth) and Pajrock from what I can find out is a cloak. So a grey homespun cloak with blue coat (Kappa)

I think

As for paints. 75% of what I use is Vallejo, Foundry 15% and the rest GW

Nigel

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

PM peter
Administrator
GNW
peter
7th Mar 2017 09:21:13

A Pajrock is a 'fatigue' coat to be worn when working thus sparing the more expensive uniform coat.   Unless I am very much mistaken (my usual default position), it means 'Pie-coat'.   A garment made up of slices of other bits and pieces stitched together.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM Stenbock
Standard User
GNW
Stenbock
7th Mar 2017 11:49:56

Nigel, Peter (X2).   This is my take, Nigel got it right but this is just to clarify some of the Swedish terminologi.

The Soldiers were equipped with a (liv)rock (coat/jacket) - this is how the Baccus miniatures are depicted.  In addition they had a Pajrock/Kapprock/Ofverrock (Overcoat) or Mantel (cloak, normally cavalry).  I am not sure about the pie-coat theory but I like it! In old Swedish (southern parts) to dress warm was referred to as "paja pÃ¥ sej​" and Pajrock was actually spelt Pajerock, Pajerrock, or Paje in short.  Paj does mean pie in modern swedish and as the filling is being wrapped up it makes sense - Nice one Peter.

I also would recommend Vallejo and if you squirt out the little you need and close it properly they last for a very long time - I also stick a little glass (or volcanic rock) bead into the bottles to make shaking them easier. There is the occassional paint separation issue and it is important to shake them well before use in my experience.

Stenbock / Per Broden

Check out my blog with some 6mm diversions - Roll a One

PM Peter the Swede
Standard User
GNW
Peter the Swede
7th Mar 2017 08:30:52

Thanks, that's cleared that up - I like the idea of a pie coat.  I have looked at other manufacturers, including 28mm (I feel dirty) and there are some surprisingly inaccurate GNW models out there.  Any plans for Swedish cavalry in karpus?  Maybe some personality figures - the bald head of Chas bobbing around the battlefiled waiting for one of his own officers to "bust a cap" in him?

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Desert nomads where are they? by DuncanWB
15th Apr 2024

2004 Shows by Whirlwind
15th Apr 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
15th Apr 2024

2004 Shows by peter
15th Apr 2024

The Army of Northern Virginia by ironass
13th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS