Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > WSS Dragoon Basing
TOPIC: WSS Dragoon Basing
PM srfaruqui
Standard User
WSS Dragoon Basing
srfaruqui
15th Mar 2019 12:04:00

I am starting up a War Of Spanish Succession army(s) for use with Black Powder.

For infantry and horse I am basing battalion/regiment as per Peter's unit sizes (24 infantry, 9 horse), which looks/works fine, but have come unstuck over dismounted dragoons. LastHussar's & Blenheim Palace WSS mod to Black Powder has a dismounted "Standard" regiment become "Small", which makes sense, but leaves me wondering how many figures would look best as the dismounted unit.

Somebody out there must have experience of/views on this......

Thanks in advance,

BikesBrownBeer&ToySoldiers

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
WSS Dragoon Basing
Glenn Pearce
15th Mar 2019 01:38:06

Baccus sells a dismounted dragoon pack that contains two sets of horse holders, two command strips and six strips of dismounted troopers for a total of 40 figures. The intent is to put 20 figures on a 60x30 base. Some who want to stretch their figures split the horses and command stands and make 4 bases of 10 figures. Others simply ask for 4 command strips and 4 strips of troopers. Regardless of the number you put on a base you simply base them anyway that looks good to you.

PM srfaruqui
Standard User
WSS Dragoon Basing
srfaruqui
15th Mar 2019 08:03:30

You've sort of confirmed my first thoughts, which were "do what looks right to me". Ten figures plus dismounts would give the impressions both of bulk, but also of relative size compared to a line infantry battalion.

Cheers,

BikesBrownBeer&ToySoldiers

PM Ludicrus
Standard User
WSS Dragoon Basing
Ludicrus
16th Mar 2019 11:08:18

I also use Black Powder for WSS (and many other periods...).

I use two 30x15mm bases for dismounted dragoon units, with 4 figures on each base. The bases can be deployed side by side to represent a small infantry unit in open order, or placed one behind the other to represent the unit in close order. The 9th figure from the mounted unit is assumed to be absent holding the horses (I don't bother with the horse holder figures, although I suppose these could be mounted on a separate base and placed behind the unit).

LATEST FORUM POSTS

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
25th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS