Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > Which (real) Matt varnish do you use ?
TOPIC: Which (real) Matt varnish do you use ?
PM philemon
Standard User
Which (real) Matt varnish do you use ?
philemon
25th Jan 2021 09:21:45

Hi,
As I really started miniature wargaming about 35 years ago I used Humbrol matt varnish.
But later on I realized formula should have been changed.
It becomes yellow and does not enlight colors as it did at a time.
I tried a lot of them (except sprays - I don't want to use them) but was not happy.
Currently I use an acrylic "artist" varnish that is OK for colours, but slightly satin.
(Amsterdam 115 MATT)
I could never find back a really deeply Matt varnish.
What do you use and how happy are you with them ?
Cheers and stay safe,
Philemon

PM monk2002uk
Standard User
monk2002uk
26th Jan 2021 09:22:19

It depends on what effect I am looking for. For a matt varnish that does not affect any of the colours, including things like silver and bronze, then I use the Vallejo acrylic matt varnish. It is not as good at providing protection for the figures during wargaming so an 'undercoat' of a spray-on gloss varnish (such as Halfords provides for cars) will give the necessary strength. If I want the colours to merge slightly, giving a more feathered effect for different layers of colours then something like the new Citadel or the Halfords acrylic matt varnishes work really well. 

Robert

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
26th Jan 2021 11:39:18

I am not a fan of matt varnish, but were I to use it I would use Vallejo gloss first followed by Vallejo matt. I currently use Vallejo gloss followed by Vallejo satin. Having has two disasters with spray varnish I will never use it again. Anyway, there is no guarantee that spray will cover the entire surface of the figure.

Andy

A little goes a long way

PM onyrevient
Standard User
onyrevient
26th Jan 2021 11:55:13

since years, for model kit and now, for figure I use only Klir (in US is Pledge). for figure I mix Klir+ water+ black acrylic. for a matt varmish just mixt 1 flat base from tamiya with 3 Klir

PM Nick the Lemming
Standard User
Nick the Lemming
26th Jan 2021 01:16:54

I use brush-on artist's matt varnish, my current one is made by Liquitex and has always done ok for me.

PM philemon
Standard User
philemon
26th Jan 2021 03:06:35

Thanks all,
Edited this post as I did not see all answers at first.
I cannot use sprays as I leave in a small loft and spraying may be toxic (or dirty ;-) ) when used in such conditions.
At a time I tried Tamiya/Gunze sprayed from an aerograph (you control the flow, and it's air + acrylic) as I am as well a modeler, but for wargaming miniatures it does not make the protection job, and also implies long preparation / cleaning sessions.
I never used VJ acrylic varnish on top of heavy protection varnish. I think I will give it a try even if the "milky" appearance is somewhat ... asking questions on transparency.
Klear is really protective but very glossy (I used it to protect planes/ships models before oil washes°. I never thought mixing it with tamiya/gunze matt varnishes. Also we cannot find it anymore in France for about years...
About liquitex, I never tried. I should as well...
So much to try...
Thanks again for your inputs.

PM Baldie
Standard User
Baldie
26th Jan 2021 08:10:34

I use a Vallejo air brush Matt varnish but brush it on.

I like it as it gives a good coat without being too thick.

PM onyrevient
Standard User
onyrevient
26th Jan 2021 08:19:31

en france le klir est maintenant vendu sous SOL PLUs de Johnson

PM philemon
Standard User
philemon
29th Jan 2021 10:02:08

Hi,
@Baldie : will give it a try as Vallejo aero stuff is surprisingly efficient when brushed (vs. Gunze/Tamiya). In example, even if out of scope of that thread, their metal color range is exceptional. (using Aluminio Satin 77.716, and I love it, I can't immagine what a chrome or bright silver will give as a result - also, it's not GW, so you may safely keep that paint for years as conditioning is not here just for it to dry, and you... to buy another one 6 monthes after)
@onyrevient : Thanks for the hint. Will get a bottle of it very soon (while shops are still opened)

PM zabarr
Standard User
zabarr
9th Apr 2021 01:31:16

Vallejo polyurethane gloss and varnish are very good. For paint on varnish, daler rowney soluble matt varnish is fantastic, put that on top of any gloss coat. Both the polyurethane and the daler rowney soluble matt varnish are super durable.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
4th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
4th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by David Kay
4th May 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
3rd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by Talbot
3rd May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS