Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > Help with Napoleonic Russian Cossacks
TOPIC: Help with Napoleonic Russian Cossacks
PM tdumontelle
Standard User
Help with Napoleonic Russian Cossacks
tdumontelle
12th Dec 2015 02:51:45

I've done some research on these colors but I'm still pretty lost.  I am seeing that the uniforms are generally Blue tops and Blue bottoms?  Red collar cuffs and hat trim?  Horse saddle cover blue with red trim?

I've also seen some Guard cossack with maybe red tops?

Any help or guidance is appreciated :)

PM Harlequin
Standard User
Harlequin
12th Dec 2015 01:09:24

This is from "The Napoleonic Handbook", first volume, "The British Army and her Allies", by Richard Partridge and Michael Oliver.

Don Cossacks: Black bearskin cap with red bag. Dark blue kaftan with scarlet collar and cuffs. Ataman's regiment, light blue facings, others scarlet piping only. Dark blue pantaloons with scarlet stripe.

Ural Cossacks: Black bearskin cap with red bag. Dark blue kaftan with strawberry-red collar and cuffs. Light blue pantaloons with white stripe, but some regiments had dark blue with white stripe.

Bug Cossacks: Black bearskin cap with white bag. Dark green infantry style jacket with white collar. Dark blue piped white cuffs and shoulder straps. Dark blue pantaloons with white stripe.

Siberian Cossacks: Black bearskin cap with scarlet bag until 1812. From 1812, an 1805 style infantry pattern shako. Dark blue kaftan with scarlet collar and cuffs. Dark blue overalls with a double scarlet stripe. Regimental distinctions were kept to lance pennons; 1st, white over light green. 2nd, white over light blue. 3rd, white over yellow. 4th, white over dark blue. 5th, white over carmine. 6th, white over brown. 7th, white over orange. 8th, white over red. 9th, white over violet. 10th, white over dark green. The coloured portion had a thin white horizontal stripe.

Astrakhan Cossacks: A single regiment with no official uniform. Wore civilian dress.

Ukraine Cossacks: Black bearskin with bag of the facing colour. 1st regiment, crimson. 2nd, scarlet. 3rd, sky-blue. 4th, white. Dark blue kaftan with regimental collar and cuffs. Medium blue trousers striped with facing colour.

Crimea Cossacks (more properly, Tartars): Black bearskin cap with green bag. Short dark green kaftan with red collar and cuffs. Pantaloons could be dark green, brown, or dark blue with a red stripe.

I hope this is of some help! :)

PM tdumontelle
Standard User
tdumontelle
12th Dec 2015 11:04:54

Perfect.  Thanks!

PM I am a spambot
Standard User
I am a spambot
14th Dec 2015 07:04:06

Thanks from me as well.  I suspect that I will be painting a Napoleonic Russian army next summer.

PM Harlequin
Standard User
Harlequin
16th Dec 2015 10:00:47

Glad to help. As the authors themselves say though, how much these regulation uniforms were adhered to is anybody's guess!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

Glue by David Kay
26th Mar 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS