Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Terrain > Favourite 6mm Terrain Set-Ups
TOPIC: Favourite 6mm Terrain Set-Ups
Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
Favourite 6mm Terrain Set-Ups
LEmpereur
17th Aug 2019 07:15:24

Thanks all for links and references... very inspiring! :-)

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
17th Aug 2019 08:47:31

Bruce Weigle's new website

www.grandtacticalrules.com

has a 9 page download of a step by step guide on how he made the 1866 Kissingen battlefield.Down loads is at the bottom of the page.

A little goes a long way

Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
LEmpereur
17th Aug 2019 10:34:00

Thanks again Dourpouritan, We discover Bruce here and don't find his website! Well done!

This is very interestering! Is it a post on this forum about Grand Tactical?

:-)

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

PM rbatch
Standard User
rbatch
17th Aug 2019 11:14:01

I was inspired by Bruces terrain. However it is fixed. in one confirgration. Kierans boards were also an inspiration, as were Luke U's's. I even brought some EVA mats. However I went a different route with a extruded polystyrene base and carpet tiles on top. location is by magnets on each side. I've based my first set in cebtral/southern West germany for Modern spearhead. More on my blog here.

Cheers,

Rhys.

PM monk2002uk
Standard User
monk2002uk
17th Aug 2019 11:36:54

The first few photos here describe how we prepare terrain for the WW1 games.

The full range of examples are here. First Battle of the Marne, First Battle of Ypres, Battle of Krasnik, Action near Gawaiten, Battle of Vimy Ridge and Battle of Messines are some of the larger set ups.

Robert

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
17th Aug 2019 03:01:20

Hello bushs!

Yes, no question Foward March is doing some very nice stuff. Although generally in 2-3mm some of his methods could certainly be used for 6mm. 2-3mm seems to be a scale that has an edge over other scales when it come to terrain. Some of the most impressive stuff I've ever seen in game presentation (as far as terrain) has all been in 2-3mm. The only thing that seems to not be as good is the actual figures. Nothing really jumps out at you. Most games require extensive labelling which drags down the overall appearance.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM rbatch
Standard User
rbatch
18th Aug 2019 11:28:37

I've just had a quick look at Forward March and while the 3D printing is quite cool, I have some serious misgivings about his boards. I can only surmise he has a gaming room with no drafts and a group of very careful gaming buddies.

As part of my ongoing thinking about terrainfor 6mm I'm planning to use buildings at 3-4mm size to fit in better with the rules ground scale (in my case 1" is 100m).

Cheers,

Rhys

Standard User
dourpuritan
19th Aug 2019 03:05:15

Those from Paper terrain in the US are pretty good value and are on the slightly larger size of 3mm - ideal for 6mm figures. Total Battle Miniatures also produce some lovely 3mm building tiles(again slightly larger than 3mm), with either one large building, such as a church, or several smaller or terraced buildings on them.

A little goes a long way

Standard User
dourpuritan
19th Aug 2019 03:09:24

At the back of 1871 Bruce shows how to produce his terrain style for temporary battlefields. The result is pretty much on a par with his permanent battlefields, eg. he cleverly produces streams and rivers using acetate cut to shape and held in place by riverside trees and vegetation built around pins.

A little goes a long way

PM bushs
Standard User
bushs
20th Aug 2019 01:44:08

I've been meaning to get a copy of 1871 for quite a while now. Thanks for reminding me, I'm really  looking forward to reading the terrain setup section.

Ordered.

Steve

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
15th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
15th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by HyveMynd
15th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
14th May 2024

Camels by DuncanWB