Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Other Rules > Bloody big battles basing
TOPIC: Bloody big battles basing
PM Brad1971
Standard User
Bloody big battles basing
Brad1971
30th Apr 2024 12:37:06

Can you play Bloody big battles with troops based for Polemos?   Just curious as I thought BBB needed multiple based units and I have zero desire to rebase especially since I enjyou Polemos also.

Thanks 

Bradley

PM ChrisBBB
Standard User
ChrisBBB
30th Apr 2024 04:16:18

Rules as written, you need multiple bases, because (a) units have three possible formations and (b) it uses base removal to track casualties and (c) firing is calculated by counting bases.

However:

In principle, no reason why you couldn't use your Polemos bases and use markers to show formations and strength/casualties. In some ways this could even be better.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
1st May 2024 04:45:50

I currently have 3 options for BBB. I have 3mm ACW armies on 50mm bases, 6mm European armies on 75mm bases and 10mm armies on 30mm bases. As was mentioned in Iron Ass's Gettysburg post, when you play solo you don't have to suit other people's armies. My 6mm armies have a 5mm dice holder to record number of "bases" currently in that formation - sideways for march column.

A little goes a long way

PM jon1066
Standard User
jon1066
2nd May 2024 08:43:48

Each Polemos Base would count as two BBB bases.  There are two main formations in BBB - Line and Deep.  Having 2 bases per stand will be tricky when units are odd numbers of bases or deep formations with an odd frontage (basically 6 bases).  So there will need to be some fudging with 3, 5, 6, and 7 base units.  That is most of them so another work around will be required.

Instead of rebasing all your units if you have some extra figures or don't mind rebasing a few you could create a few 30 by 30 bases to give you the odd bases you need.  eg a unit with 5 bases could be two of the Polemos bases plus one 30 by 30.  A unit of 6 would need 2 of the 30 by 30s when in deep formation (so perhaps don't have many units with six bases).  The 30 by 30s would also be handy for figure removal (since you take off the odd one then can swap it for a double).

So the short answer is if you create one 30 by 30 for each unit it should cover most situations.

PM ChrisBBB
Standard User
ChrisBBB
2nd May 2024 12:16:48

Good point, Jon. I'd been thinking Brad could just treat each of his Polemos bases as a distinct unit, regardless of nominal strength, using markers/dice to track strength and status. But you're right, treating each Polemos base as two bases would work too - it's a method I've actually used a fair amount myself with a friend's oversize ACW bases, so I can confirm it works fine.

PM Talbot
Standard User
Talbot
3rd May 2024 02:29:02

- I use 4cmx2 bases, and some 2cmx2cm; calculating that each 4x2cm base contains 2 Units;

If there is an "even" hit, I mark with a cap; Next time I'll remove the base.

- Hi Baccus !

- I'm sorry if I bother you but I would like to point out that the forum function Start a New Thread, doesn't work for me. - Can you help me ? - Thanks! - Stefano

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by LEmpereur
20th May 2024

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by Mort53
20th May 2024

Paint for Pay by wargameGary
18th May 2024

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by LEmpereur
18th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
17th May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS