Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Other Rules > Peninsular Possibility
TOPIC: Peninsular Possibility
PM Spangenhelm
Standard User
Peninsular Possibility
Spangenhelm
26th Sep 2015 01:37:42

The appeal of Napoleonics has eluded me for decades, although since childhood the military art of the period has fascinated me, and reading Segur's Retreat From Moscow, and Gerard Depardieu's portrayal of Colonel Chabert almost did tip things.  I also admit to slavering over AB's French Cuirassiers back in the day.  But other periods have always edged Napoleonics out.

Lately though the Peninsular War has snuck up on me.  Perhaps because it seems so chaotic and 'modern'.  I love the Baccus line of Spanish, and the 6mm guerrillas really lure me.  While browsing around for rules I found this review.  Not much follow up anywhere that I could see, but I think these might be ideal for small, scattered tactical actions. 

And those guerrillas may come into their own!

http://tacticalminiaturesgaming.blogspot.com/2010/10/sharp-practice-mini-review.html

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Peninsular Possibility
Whirlwind
26th Sep 2015 10:05:09

It does look good, doesn't it?  IIRC the guy used to post on the old forum, but it has been a little while.

Email Extra Crispy PM Extra Crispy
Standard User
Peninsular Possibility
Extra Crispy
26th Sep 2015 05:05:14

If you like the Lardies style of rules these would be a great way to dip your toe in the period. The units are pretty small and a nice game can be had with just a handful of units. A good starter might be:

1 pack foot Guerillas (paint 2 units worth, save the rest)
1 pack Mounted Guerillas (paint 1 unit, save the rest)
1 Pack Spanish Line (paint one unit, save the rest)

1 Pack French Line (paint 3 units, save the rest)
1 Pack French skirmishers
1 Pack French cavalry (one unit, choose a uniform you like)

This would give you enough to start. You might add a pack of guns. Heck in 6mm buy French and just paint them up as Spanish since you probably will never need more than 2 guns a side....

Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
ScaleCreep.com
DeepFriedHappyMice.com

PM Spangenhelm
Standard User
Peninsular Possibility
Spangenhelm
27th Sep 2015 02:17:07

Mark, that is interesting.  Something less than a brigade per side then.  That is about perfect for what I am willing and able to tackle right now.  The distinct wrinkles of this theater does interest me and I think this approach may best suit it.  That is also enough a taste to decide whether or not to expand beyond that.  There are some Spanish units that just beg to be painted.  The old school white infantry uniforms, the dragoons in yellow...

You may have just tipped the balance!

Email Extra Crispy PM Extra Crispy
Standard User
Peninsular Possibility
Extra Crispy
27th Sep 2015 04:30:05

And you wouldn't even need all of that to start! In SP a "group" is about 24 figures and would represent maybe a company. So an "army" could just be a couple infantry groups. I would think you'd get a good game from 3-4 Guerilla groups ambushing a supply train or messenger, guarded by 1 or 2 groups....

Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
ScaleCreep.com
DeepFriedHappyMice.com

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Pre 1st May by DuncanWB
23rd Apr 2024

Save the Date! BBB BASH DAY V, Daventry, Sunday 19 May 2024 by ChrisBBB
23rd Apr 2024

Pre 1st May by dourpuritan
23rd Apr 2024

Pre 1st May by njt236
22nd Apr 2024