Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Other Rules > DBA 3 / HotT question
TOPIC: DBA 3 / HotT question
PM TriOpticon
Standard User
DBA 3 / HotT question
TriOpticon
18th Jun 2016 04:23:40

I am thinking of doing DBA and HotT in 6mm.

I was curious who else does this and any suggestions for number of figures per base?  Or, how to differentiate the different units?  I am still new to the system but a 4Bd in 15mm scale has 4 figures so it is fairly easy to tell but I am not certain about 6mm scale as more figures would be on the base.

I was going to use the same base width, 40mm, as I prefer that smaller size table, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

PM I am a spambot
Standard User
DBA 3 / HotT question
I am a spambot
19th Jun 2016 06:36:32

I do not play DBA version 3, but I do do HotT and DBA in version 2.2 and 2.2+.  The vast majority of my 6mm DBA and HotT armies are on 40mm wide bases.  I particularly like Big Battle DBA or HotT (with armies three times the basic size) with 6mm figures.

I have tended to use the old, well-established four times as many troops as 15mm figures would use, usually in 2 ranks.  For example, hoplites would have 16 figures in 2 ranks of 8.  That said, some kinds of troops, such as psiloi (infantry skirmishers) and light horse look better distributed in an irregular way around the base.

Elephants, chariots and artillery usually go two to a base.  I only managed to fit one scythed chariot per 40mm square base.

With 6mm, because there aren't any 6mm competitions, you can base them as you please. I have stopped using 40mm by 15mm bases for all new and rebased armies because I don't like them.  Also, if I want to have some troops in a formation that doesn't fit on the proper sized base then I will use a deeper one.  Because my Seleucids have knights as well as cavalry, I based the knights in a 'V' shaped formation on 40mm square bases.

Oh - and my Republican Roman 'blades' (hastati and princepes) are based to look like maniples on 40mm by 20mm bases with 2 ranks at the front on one side and 2 ranks on the back on the other.

Is there anything else that I would do differently if I was starting from scratch? Yes, I would put less than 8 psiloi per base.  I would consider whether or not to have 2 ranks of mounted.

Edit: One possible problem that you might have is that current Baccus Celtic infantry come in 20mm strips of 4, I understand.  If you want to distinguish warband which would have three 15mm  figures on ('fast' in version 3 parlance) from that which would have four ('solid' as I believe it is termed in v.3) I would try putting them with the ranks either appart for 'fast' or close together for 'solid'.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
DBA 3 / HotT question
dourpuritan
19th Jun 2016 07:20:21

That looks very impressive.

A little goes a long way

PM I am a spambot
Standard User
DBA 3 / HotT question
I am a spambot
20th Jun 2016 06:48:03

Thank you.

PM TriOpticon
Standard User
DBA 3 / HotT question
TriOpticon
21st Jun 2016 10:41:37

Thanks for that great information!  And, they do look impressive.

When you say there are no 6mm competitions, do you mean no one runs 6mm tournaments?

I asked this question before over at TMP where I asked about 6mm figures on 40mm BW competing against 15mm figures on the same BW.  Does it really matter what the figure scales are?

For now I will be building both armies anyway as I have not found anyone locally that plays, yet, but still it would be nice to be able to go to Historicon or DragonCon and play in those 15mm tournaments.

PM I am a spambot
Standard User
DBA 3 / HotT question
I am a spambot
22nd Jun 2016 06:28:58

"When you say there are no 6mm competitions, do you mean no one runs 6mm tournaments?"

Yes, I was using 'competition' as a synonym for 'tournament'.  As far as I am aware, there are no DBA competitions/tournaments for 6mm figures. Most competitions/tournaments that are talked about on the Fanaticus website(s) are for 15mm figures, with a small number of competitions for 25/28mm figures.

Some competitions/tournaments are for matched pairs of armies.  Each person taking part brings a pair of their armies which get used against each other.  If you are interested in competitions/tournaments, it might be worth asking the organisers of such competitions/tournaments within easy travelling distance for you whether they would accept a pair of 6mm armies.

Old Fanaticus website forum, still running, but due to disappear at the end of September 2016: http://fanaticus.org/discussion/index.php

New Fanaticus website, run by different people, but with Chris Brantley's blessing: http://fanaticus.boards.net/

"I asked this question before over at TMP where I asked about 6mm figures on 40mm BW competing against 15mm figures on the same BW.  Does it really matter what the figure scales are?"

Some years ago, when I still lived in Sheffield, a friend and I had a 6mm versus 15mm DBA game at the local club.  We were hoping for lots of shock and outrage from the other members. Unfortunately, we were disappointed; nobody took any notice.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
DBA 3 / HotT question
dourpuritan
22nd Jun 2016 04:00:52

It must have looked a little strange though.

A little goes a long way

PM TriOpticon
Standard User
DBA 3 / HotT question
TriOpticon
28th Jun 2016 11:16:57

Thanks for the info.  I read the Fanaticus websites almost daily.

So far there is nothing near me that I am aware of, other than Historicon and DragonCon.  I know they do 15 and 28 scale but have not seen 6 mentioned.  I will ask them about it.

I agree it would look strange to see 6mm vs 15mm but game wise it would be the same.  I am more of a player than I am a historian or painter so it would not bother me to see different scales fighting it out as long as the frontage was the same.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

Glue by David Kay
26th Mar 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS