Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Polemos Rules > Maps and Campaigns
TOPIC: Maps and Campaigns
PM Rittmeister_Krefeld
Standard User
Maps and Campaigns
Rittmeister_Krefeld
26th Feb 2023 10:28:46

in case you want to use something other than hex maps, here is a lovely collection of maps for most napoleonic theaters:
http://www.murat.ca/maps.htm

PM Rittmeister_Krefeld
Standard User
Maps and Campaigns
Rittmeister_Krefeld
26th Feb 2023 10:35:38

You can also download the maps for t 1809 Danube game from here:
https://vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:1809:_Napoleons_Danube_Campaign

PM monk2002uk
Standard User
Maps and Campaigns
monk2002uk
27th Feb 2023 05:10:43

I use the layer approach when creating maps. PowerPoint is one possibility, though the same principles apply with other dedicated tools (mine is currently Pixelmator Pro on the iMac). Previously I used Microsoft PhotoDraw, which was available for free but had to be used with an emulator as it is a Windows OS application. 

The basis for my maps is a 4x6 grid. Each square in the grid represents 1x1km. This gives me the groundscale. You can create a hex-based grid as well. I then import the tiff, jpeg or png image of the source map. Alternatively, a screenshot of the area of the map that is relevant can be pasted as a layer. You then push the map image backwards until it sits behind the grid. This will enable you to resize the image to the groundscale. From there it is a case of layering on the roads, rivers, woods, towns, etc. 

Here is an example:

Robert

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Maps and Campaigns
dourpuritan
27th Feb 2023 09:10:39

Little Wars TV has two free downloadable ACW campaigns - Vicksburg and Gettysburg. The overall topography on the maps is relatively simple, so when forces meet you need to fill out the battlefield. Counters, cards etc are all provided in the free download availabe from this site:

https://www.6mmacw.com/

A little goes a long way

PM rsjahn
Standard User
Maps and Campaigns
rsjahn
27th Feb 2023 04:26:56

Hey guys, the links and advices are increadibly helpful, and some awesome maps too! Thank you very much for all your help, I really appreciate it.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by dourpuritan
14th May 2024

And you thought 6mm was small? by dourpuritan
14th May 2024

And you thought 6mm was small? by David Kay
14th May 2024

And you thought 6mm was small? by peter
13th May 2024

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by Colin the Wargamer
12th May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS