Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Polemos Rules > ACW scenarios
TOPIC: ACW scenarios
PM Bartman
Standard User
ACW scenarios
Bartman
30th Apr 2016 06:00:19

Hi all,

I seem to recall sometime ago there was talk of a scenario book in the works. Is this still going to happen? I'm just too lazy to convert the boat load of scenarios I have from various sources.

Thanks, Bill

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
ACW scenarios
dourpuritan
1st May 2016 07:10:21

If you have based up for Polemos why not give Altar of Freedom a go. Two scenario books featuring all the major battles of the war with no rebasing.

A little goes a long way

PM Bartman
Standard User
ACW scenarios
Bartman
1st May 2016 05:36:23

I actually have these and like them alot.,I was hoping for something at the regimental level though. I guess I'll just have to stop being so lazy and either convert the scenarios I have andor convert AoF to regimental. The gamers curse of never being satisfied with a specific rule set... 😁

thanks, Bill

Standard User
ACW scenarios
dourpuritan
2nd May 2016 06:56:59

How about the new ACW book for Black Powder, Glory Hallelujah. I have read some excellent reviews of this and intend to buy a copy myself. BP does not require casualty removal, so one or more Polemos bases  can represent a regiment. The rules make provision for large, average and small units. The scenario book includes rules for using river gunboats.

A little goes a long way

PM Grenadier
Standard User
ACW scenarios
Grenadier
4th May 2016 09:48:46

I'm fiddling with a AofF regimental conversion which shouldn't be difficult.  Change the ground scale, movement rates, ranges, etc., and change all command levels down one notch (Corp to Division, Brigade to Regiment etc.) and voila!  Of course there are some other fiddly bits to work out...maybe add a little more tactical detail but I don't foresee any issues.  I'm really surprised it wasn't done by the author at the outset.

Brian

Standard User
ACW scenarios
dourpuritan
5th May 2016 06:46:04

I believe he was happy with rules like JR III and RF&F for representing regimental games and his intention was to find a way of playing the full major battles on a relatively small table in a reasonable time. TBH I now find the above regimental rules to be too fiddly and time consuming these days.

A little goes a long way

PM Grenadier
Standard User
ACW scenarios
Grenadier
5th May 2016 06:25:28

Oh, I agree!  Determining which regiment had repeaters, 63% rifles or 48% smooth bores is silly. There is a fine line between just enough and too much detail.  I really like the mechanics of AoF and think they'd also work at the regimental level without including too much tactical minutiae which, admittingly, adds flavor but bogs down play. I've always believed in representing the battalion/regiment in my horse and musket games because of the individual histories, lore and pageantry of each.

PM Fenton
Standard User
ACW scenarios
Fenton
5th May 2016 09:28:33

I think there are quite a few scenarios on   The bloody big battles Yahoo group. I think given the popularity of ACW there would be loads  knocking about the web

PM Bartman
Standard User
ACW scenarios
Bartman
6th May 2016 12:59:40

I have close to 30 bases of infantry for both sides with a few more to paint (really need cavalry though). I like one base representing one unit, just looks neater on the table. I cut my historical teeth on FandF and still love the rules, but I am not going to spend money I don't have on another scale for figures and terrain.

I have the first thirty issues of Charge magazine and that equates to close to 60 regimental scenarios, plus the RFF and JRIII scenario books too. That is a LOT of scenarios to convert. So instead of converting rules and scenarios I'll just have a go at converting the scenarios over to On They Came.

PM Bradley
Standard User
ACW scenarios
Bradley
13th Nov 2016 01:55:01

I just finished a book on the Fredricksburg campaign.  Lots of detail about orders of battle and terrain.  Polemos seems to be what I like from what I have read.  I hate the idea of doing all this painitng and having this massive diorama built too play it like Johnny Reb.  I plan on having some friends over drinking beers and watching the battle unfold on a grand scale.  Plus since I bought and am buying from Peter I want to give his rules the first shot.

Bradley

FWIW I have stone mountain miniatures 15mm and still play Johnny Reb 2nd edition for small battles involving several regiments.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Little battles with Ancients by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by Lanksta
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by peter
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by bushs
18th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS