Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Polemos Rules > Getting started with GdD
TOPIC: Getting started with GdD
PM jozistinman
Standard User
Getting started with GdD
jozistinman
18th Apr 2017 02:10:51

Just got back from vacation, and am continuing to rebase my 1809 forces from 20mm squares x 4 per battalion to the Polemos standard.  It is coming along nicely, I hope to have the French all done in a few weeks and the start on the Austrians.

When it is said and done, for the French, I will have 23 batalions of infantry, 9 artillery, 4 Regiments of Hussars, and 3 regiments of Cursassiers.

I play on a fairly small table (5' wide) so I figure using the 1809 army generators I have maybe 2 divisions with the possibility of a cavalry brigade attached.

Is this enough for a good, if small game? I will probably only have 2 division commanders and maybe a brigade commander to allocate TP's to.  Does anyone else play small games with GdD and have sugestions? 

Thanks!

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Getting started with GdD
Glenn Pearce
20th Apr 2017 02:50:01

Hello Jozis!

Your on the right track. A couple of points to consider.

Cuirrassier are shock/reserve troops often found only in a heavy cavalry corps. They were rarely attached to a line corps. So you might want to add some Chassuers to your cavalry arm who were often in some of the smaller actions. In some areas Dragoons were also used in the line.

Most Divisions have two, three and sometimes four or five brigades. So you might want to add a few more brigadiers to your force.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Getting started with GdD
Whirlwind
20th Apr 2017 05:19:06

HI Jozis,

You have more than enough for a good game there.  I have played lots of General de Division with those sized forces or less and they have given many interesting games.  In my opinion you don't have to tinker with the rules until you get down to forces of 12 bases or less, at which point you may want to consider some very minor tweaks to the way morale works.

All the best

PM jozistinman
Standard User
Getting started with GdD
jozistinman
22nd Apr 2017 03:19:30

Thank you both!  For my next Baccus order, I think I will add some Chaussers and Dragoons. I also have enough to paint up a Bavarian Division as well.  I have a larger Austrian force, including lots of nice, poorly trained Landwher, but they could probbaly use some extra Dragoon and Uhlans.

The rebasing effort is slowly moving along, but I think I will get a LOT more use out of the figures now that they will be on bigger bases and less fiddly.  I will post picture when done, thanks!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Pre 1st May by DuncanWB
23rd Apr 2024

Save the Date! BBB BASH DAY V, Daventry, Sunday 19 May 2024 by ChrisBBB
23rd Apr 2024

Pre 1st May by dourpuritan
23rd Apr 2024

Pre 1st May by njt236
22nd Apr 2024

Renaissance Turks? by Rittmeister_Krefeld
22nd Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS