> Forums
> General > General > How many flags????
TOPIC: How many flags????
PM Mollinary
Standard User
How many flags????
Mollinary
20th Jun 2015 02:36:03

Hi Nigel,

I am very lucky that many years ago I picked up a booklet written by Nigel Smith, published by Freikorps, on the French army of the FPW. It was published in 1991 and reprinted in 1998, and if you can find a copy, I'd thoroughly recommend it.    It is still my first "go to" book on the French army, and it tells me that the Eagle was carried by the 2nd Battalion, that the 1st Battalion carried a crimson fanion,  50cm square, and the 3rd Battalion had one halved diagonally in yellow and white. Hope this helps,

Mollinary

PM Mollinary
Standard User
How many flags????
Mollinary
20th Jun 2015 04:27:43

Just did a double check using the L&Humbert material on the grossergeneralstab site.  It agrees with Crimson for the 1st Battalion, but seems to imply the yellow/white wasn't introduced until 1872, and that prior to that it was red/white diagonal. In both cases the white was on the pole and bottom side, the colour on the top and free flying side.

Mollinary

PM njt236
Standard User
How many flags????
njt236
20th Jun 2015 06:42:49

Thanks Mollinary. Excellent. I'll give it some thought but I'll probably go for 1 base per regiment. So each base will have the eagle. But good to know about the fanion colours just in case I go for the 1 base per bttn.  

Nigel

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

PM njt236
Standard User
How many flags????
njt236
21st Jun 2015 03:04:10

The same question again for the Republican Army pack. Are the line infantry in greatcoat or tunic? Thanks once again.

Nigel

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
How many flags????
dourpuritan
21st Jun 2015 10:31:52

You'll have to contact Peter over that. Certainly line infantry should be in greatcoat with epaulettes, but I'm surprised there is no mention of chasseurs in the army pack, who could equally be represented as formed and/or skirmishing in tunic with epaulettes. I would imagine the zouaves come as both formed and skirmishing, but unfortunately this pack does seem to be geared to 1st Corps. The others (bar the guard) did not feature zouaves or Turcos, but every corps had chasseurs.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

times changing? by ironass
17th Dec 2017

WW1 Ottoman Army by njt236
16th Dec 2017

What other rule sets do people most commonly use? by gordon@hazeltonmountford.co.uk
15th Dec 2017

Peloponnesian War in DBA by ironass
13th Dec 2017

Whatever happened to the SYW? by Fireymonkeyboy
11th Dec 2017

UPCOMING SHOWS

LATEST RELEASES

SSF13    - Hessian FootSSF13
Hessian Foot

ECWBOX - ECW Boxed SetECWBOX
ECW Boxed Set

WECESS - WEC Essex's army pacWECESS