Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > ACW - to paint or not to paint...
TOPIC: ACW - to paint or not to paint...
PM bbentley0102
Standard User
ACW - to paint or not to paint...
bbentley0102
1st Dec 2017 03:37:58

Hello all,  I’m currently painting CSA figures and I have a dilemma that I would like to get some of your thoughts.  After applying a wash, the detail of these awesome figures really pops out.  No I’m not so sure that I want to paint the shoulder straps.  Here are some pics for examples.  https://flic.kr/p/224ANYn     https://flic.kr/p/224AP1g   

So what do you think?  Leave the straps as is, highlighted with the wash?  Or paint them and lose the detail?

PM njt236
Standard User
njt236
1st Dec 2017 05:46:57

I paint my crossbelts etc, white, buff etc. Then, with a uniPin fine line pen I run the pen along the outside edges of the crossbelts. This gives the impression of shading and makes the belts stand out. Same as using a wash along the belt edges really. This attempt is a bit cr*p. It was my first attempt at doing this. Have since perfected the technique. Now use a 0.1 fine line pen which gives a much narrower shade line but you get the general impression.

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

PM 6mmwargaming
Standard User
6mmwargaming
1st Dec 2017 08:02:53

Try it on a couple of figures. If they have slightly brighter shoulder straps than the rest thats ok! IMHO, contrast is important when painting 6mm figures.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
2nd Dec 2017 06:35:06

I thought shoulder straps were the loops of material on the shoulders that canteen, cartridge box and haversack straps passed under. I see little merit in painting these in 6mm, especially as they were grey on most Confederate jackets and blue on Union.

A little goes a long way

LATEST FORUM POSTS

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
25th Apr 2024