Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Open handed Phalanx
TOPIC: Open handed Phalanx
PM lekw
Standard User
Open handed Phalanx
lekw
10th Jun 2020 05:45:23

Sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find an answer in the past posts. I made the mistake of wathcing some youtube videos showing off the Baccus Phalanx with pikes inserted. They looked increadible and now I want to try doing some when orders come back online. How are these done? Just insert clothing pins with glu? Can anyone give me a suggestion of what pins/bristles to use? Need to get some of these increadible figures on the table!!! 

PM rsjahn
Standard User
Open handed Phalanx
rsjahn
11th Jun 2020 09:45:09

Hi,

I'm using brass rods, 0,5 mm - easy to cut. Then I'm drilling a hole into the base, to fix them really good.

PM lukicpz35t
Standard User
Open handed Phalanx
lukicpz35t
11th Jun 2020 02:37:37

I took a different twist: instead of pins or brass rods, I used plastic broom's bristles. This way I don't have to worry about bending them.  

PM lekw
Standard User
Open handed Phalanx
lekw
11th Jun 2020 07:44:27

Do you have to drill the rods in? That picture looks amazing!!!

PM rsjahn
Standard User
Open handed Phalanx
rsjahn
11th Jun 2020 08:09:10

Its not necessary to drill them in, but it is easily done and I have never lost one pike in gaming.

PM woodozx
Standard User
Open handed Phalanx
woodozx
11th Jun 2020 10:00:10

How do you drill them in? What diameter of drill bit do you use?

PM rsjahn
Standard User
Open handed Phalanx
rsjahn
12th Jun 2020 06:39:30

I have a Proxxon-Drill, a small and very usefull device. You can get all kinds of diameters for it, so 0,5mm drill for 0,5mm rod ist quite appropriate. To drill dozends of holes is just a matter of minutes.

PM woodozx
Standard User
Open handed Phalanx
woodozx
12th Jun 2020 07:36:03

Thanks!

PM MykeCole
Standard User
Open handed Phalanx
MykeCole
13th Jun 2020 09:25:57

For 17th C. pikemen, I notice that the only open-handed ones are charging. I don't like this because it means you can't have bases touching one another front to front (the stiff pikes prevent it). However, the only options with pikes held straight up and down are cast pikes. I guess my only option in this case is to cut the cast pikes off, and replace them with pins/brass rods? Can we special order 17th C. pikemen with their pikes without the pikes cast? Also, if we do cut off the cast pikes, do we then have to drill a little furrow in the hand to place the pin/rod? Or can we just glue straight on? 

Thanks for any guidance you all can provide.

PM Tom31
Standard User
Open handed Phalanx
Tom31
16th Jun 2020 02:00:30

Just curious, how long have people made the Sarissas on their units? I've got sets of pins of a variety of lengths and personally like the look of them with the longest possible but fear that might be going a little OTT with them

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Bloody big battles basing by dourpuritan
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
1st May 2024

Vanquish show 6mm game by Estarriol
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
30th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS