Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Republican Romans
TOPIC: Republican Romans
PM Glorfindel
Standard User
Republican Romans
Glorfindel
16th Oct 2020 05:40:53

I'm planning a new 6mm Republican Roman army and would like some advice on the best way to represent them.  Current plan is to use 24 Baccus figures per Maniple (which I understand would normally comprise six ranks of 20).  The options really are two lines of 12 or three lines of 8.   I'm tending toward the latter but would be interested if anyone has any thoughts / experience with building this army.  Thanks.    Phil.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Republican Romans
Glenn Pearce
17th Oct 2020 11:47:11

I've no experience with them but l have seen some based as 3 or 4 ranks of 12. I liked the look of 3 ranks of 12 as it still leaves you some space to create the mini diorama effect that greatly enhances the look of the 60x30 base. 

PM David Kay
Standard User
Republican Romans
David Kay
18th Oct 2020 01:02:56

I think the answer depends upon the level of abstraction (figures to real men and command level) you are using', how you have based up other troop types, and some of the assumptions and mechanics in the ruleset being used.

On the basis of your 1:5 scale, I would suggest the 3 ranks of 8 figures best matches the authenticity of the 6 ranks of 20 real thing. I assume though any Greek hoplites you have are based at least 4 ranks deep, Persian sparabara 5 ranks and Macedonian phalangites 8 figure ranks deep. If they aren't then a shallower smaller formation might be more appropriate.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Bloody big battles basing by dourpuritan
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
1st May 2024

Vanquish show 6mm game by Estarriol
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
30th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS