Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > WW2 vehicles / guns mini size
TOPIC: WW2 vehicles / guns mini size
PM mluiesp
Standard User
WW2 vehicles / guns mini size
mluiesp
24th Nov 2020 09:55:40

I'm trying to make up mymind on "translating" the Flames of War rules to 6mm or making up my own rules and to that end, it would help me to know the sizes of the tanks minis so to use carboard bases as proxies to test my ideas.

I only need an approxiamte measurement. Thank you

PM peter
Administrator
peter
24th Nov 2020 02:44:04

The hull of the Panther (yet to be released) is 27mm long.   Does that help?

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM mluiesp
Standard User
mluiesp
25th Nov 2020 07:35:27

Yes, that's quite helpful, thank you

Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
LEmpereur
25th Nov 2020 03:28:17

We play Team Yankee rule which is near Flame of War WWII... and only change one thing :  the shooting, movement and other distances ==> 1 inch = 1cm.

It's really more realistic... 6mm is GREAT!

In fact, the helicopters and heavy weapons don't cross the table !

And as Baccus does not produce modern figurines, We allow Us to offer you to see Our Beautifull Imperial Table !

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

PM rbatch
Standard User
rbatch
26th Nov 2020 08:09:55

I've always thought that Team Yankee was in the wrong scale, and you should not be able to move or fire clean across a table as it just negates manoeuvre, unless you load the table up with terrain.

I've been playing Modern Spearhead (and te WW2 version) for the last 20 odd years. Its a larger scale game (brigade/division level with platoon stands and 1" is 100M) than Team Yankee but theres a bit more in the way of planning and tactics. Plus you are not limited by one companies army books and cards. And unlike Team Yankee, in Modern Spearhead infantry actually has a roll and can stand up to tank units in a fight. My observations of Team Yankee armies are that they tend to be rather tank heavy.

Here's a picture of a game in progress on a 6' by 8' table with a Russian T80 tank regiment attacking a US mixed battalion (M60A3 and M113)

PM Daniele Bruccoleri
Standard User
Daniele Bruccoleri
26th Nov 2020 09:37:13

I think flames of war can simply be played as in the original rules, using same bases and same measures.

The only result  'll be that  distances on battlefield, above all guns shooting ranges, will result more appropriate.

PM mluiesp
Standard User
mluiesp
27th Nov 2020 11:47:10

Quite an impresive game you had @LEmpereur together with a princess and all.

As for Team Yankee, I'm a sad fan of the National Volksarmee (Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah!) and as TY is descending farther and farther into the 90s, East Germany keeps getting behind.I won't be surprised if our brave little Heimat does not appear in future editions. Capitalist discrimination as its worst, you see.

However, as I plan to play solo, that could be circumvented somehow. Maybe just sticking to older rules and modules.

So, that's why I'm experimenting on what could work for me, and this is the perfect time now that Baccus has more orders than they need I can resort to carboard with disminished feelings of guilt :)

Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
LEmpereur
28th Nov 2020 08:22:39

@ rbatch, our table look good! Team Yankee use lot of tanks and vehicules and We like that ! In fact, 6mm modern infantry uniforme and not so interesting than in the earlier period... and, of course, it is because Baccus don't sell any ! ;-)

@ Daniele Bruccoleri, try to play with 1cm = 1 inch, you will discover a other way to play Team Yankee, Flames of War game !  The shots don't cross the table allowing great moves on a 6x4 foot standard table. The use of shoppers began to be very interesting!

@ mluiesp, thanks a lot... We are more fan of the french army, because We were in berlin en 1986-1987...

See here, british friends :

Of the King's Own Scottish Borderers : 

And american's one, here Our Own Platoon Picture with friends of the 42nd Engineer's ! 

Unfortunely, We haven't got picture with National Volsarmee soldiers... that wasn't Our Friends during this periode... but they have pictures of Us shooted from there Berlin wall watchtowers !

:D :D :D

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by ChrisBBB
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by jon1066
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
2nd May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS