Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Basing 6mm
TOPIC: Basing 6mm
PM gsayhi
Standard User
Basing 6mm
gsayhi
4th Feb 2021 03:36:19

Okay, help me understand what I'm getting and what it is going to mount on. If I take 6 strips of 4 infantry figures (a battalion by my rules) those will all fit on Baccus 40mm x 20mm base. Correct? Can even more strips fit on that size? 

PM korangar
Standard User
Basing 6mm
korangar
4th Feb 2021 06:45:16

A standard 4-infantry strip from Baccus is approximately 20mm in width x 5mm in depth.  So on a 40mm x 20mm base, they would have to be mounted in three ranks of two strips each.  This would make the base pretty crowded and not leave alot of room for flocking the base.  A better fit would be the 60mm x 30mm base.  This would allow for two ranks of 3 strips each with plenty of room for flocking, bits of rock and foliage, etc.  (You could also easily fit a third rank if you wanted).  Check out the photos for Baccus' War of the Spanish Succession range for an idea of how this would look: 

https://www.baccus6mm.com/catalogue/Early18thCentury/WaroftheSpanishSuccession/

I don't know which rules system you are using, but many I have read allow for flexible base size as long as a standard ratio of width to depth is maintained: i.e. 2W x 1D. So the base size could be 40x20mm, 60x30mm, 80x40mm, etc.  Hope this helps.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Basing 6mm
Glenn Pearce
4th Feb 2021 02:21:17

As koranger states your best fit is the standard Polemos base 60mm x 30mm which is normally a infantry battalion of 6 strips of 4 figures in 2 ranks of 3 strips. It's also a cavalry regiment of 9 figures. The same base also fits your limbers, wagons, etc. A smaller base 30mm x 30mm is for your artillery and commanders. Just two bases for your entire collection. Baccus also sells their figures to match this basing. You get 4 battalions in one bag of infantry. One bag of cavalry contains 5 cavalry regiments. One bag of artillery gives you 4 guns and crew. Limbers are the same if you use them, 4 in a bag. Baccus also sells a basing kit to make your basing look professional. 

This basing system will work with any popular rule system as is or with a few simple house rules. 

You can order anything from Baccus by sending them an email, except figures/castings. Hopefully they will open their shopping cart in a few weeks so you can obtain figures.

You can also add more figures to these bases if you want to. The infantry could hold a third or even a fourth row. Some people also squeeze a second rank of cavalry on base. You can be as creative as you want to be.

Any questions, jusk ask.

PM Nick the Lemming
Standard User
Basing 6mm
Nick the Lemming
4th Feb 2021 02:50:14

That basing that Glenn suggests will not work with "any popular rule system", as he well knows since he's made these erroneous claims dozens of times and been corrected each time. If your rules call for 40x20 bases, then use 40x20 bases.

If those are the bases you're using, I'd recommend using 4 strips in total, 2 by 2. That would allow you to havea decent enough group of figures so they don't just look like the "5 men taking a flag for a walk" look that some other scales look like, but give enough room for a bit of flocking etc, don't look too bunched up, and give room for a label or distinctive marker at the back of the base to show what unit is being represented.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Basing 6mm
Glenn Pearce
4th Feb 2021 07:07:55

Sorry to inform you Nick, but your statement is false, untrue and insulting. You have been warned before that your behaviour is unacceptable on this forum. If you continue to do so I don't think you'll enjoy the outcome.

Today there are a number of rule sets are basing neutral. You are apparently unaware of this fact. To clearly state that my suggested basing "will not work", simply reflects your lack of knowledge of how rules actually work.

To then state that "he wells knows" is a complete lie. The truth is I'm well aware of the fact that other people do use this basing with other rule sets.. Which is a further reflection of your lack of knowledge about the 6mm community. There have never been any "erroneous claims" made by me on this topic. Which makes it impossible to have "been corrected each time". These statements are just outrages, false, untrue and insulting.

To make such an outlandish post is disgusting. If there is antyhing you don't understand I will gladly take the time to explain it to you. Otherwise I can only suggest you spend a great deal of time thinking about why you're on this forum and if you want to continue on it or not.

It would also be a good idea to curtail giving advice to people on a subject you don't understand.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Basing 6mm
dourpuritan
4th Feb 2021 08:04:36

Play nice gents or don't play at all. Someone  asked for advice. Please give advice and please don't overreact if you disagree with the advice. I think "such an outlandish post is disgusting" might be better phrased as "unwarranted." Similarly if you do not agree with a person's opinion simply state your own as a viable alternative.

Thankyou, Andy.

A little goes a long way

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Basing 6mm
Glenn Pearce
4th Feb 2021 08:38:57

Exactly!

Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
Basing 6mm
LEmpereur
4th Feb 2021 09:06:17

Hi Gsayhi... because The Emperor say Hi too!

;-)

Some humor in this brutal world doesn't hurt!

We have chosen the 6mm figures for the large bases which allow the figures to be arranged in various ways. And so, to give a great variety of bases and a nice mass effect!
however this does not allow to represent the different combat formations which are necessary for certain games!
That's why, We have adopted the Polemos rules, but others must allow it ... so Gsayhi choose your rule, choose your basing, put plenty figures on those and HAVE FUN !!!
Because today, for to much of us, there is may be only one space of relaxation, fun and joy ... and this forum must stay one of those!

So here you can see several way to base your infantry figures on a 6x6cm base :

And here some cavalry bases on the left below :

We live difficult times, but life stay beautifull and will be better... so keep this place pleasant, have fun and take care of you !

And open this f... cart!

;-)

Vive L'Empereur !

:D :D :D

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

PM Ryan
Standard User
Basing 6mm
Ryan
4th Feb 2021 09:06:27

How about just asking gsayhi about what system he is planning on using? If he is set on a system maybe its easier to give a recommendation based on that than having to generalize. I use 5 bases of 2x2cm with two strips each. One thing I can definitely say is that I wouldnt want to fit 3 strips on 2x2 (which 6 on 4x2 basically is). Seems way too tight. Even with my two strips per 2x2 there is little room for grass or anything to go...

Edit: Main reason for this is that I use black powder. 5 bases per battalion enable me to display large 7 regular 5 small 3 tiny 1 units and line, column and square all look good. Also 40 tiny guys two deep look alright :)

PM gsayhi
Standard User
Basing 6mm
gsayhi
5th Feb 2021 12:40:58

Vive l'Empereur, Thank you so much for sharing your photos. I love them. They look beautiful!

Ryan, I use Black Powder but my first plan is to by the WSS boxed set and take a look at those Polemos rules. I must say, I like being able to form different formations like squares, attack columns, march columns, etc. in addition to lines. 

I apologize if I started something. I have no intention of making this place unpleasent and I hope my frustrations with building an army and choosing a good system to used didn't play out well. I never intended for Glenn and Nick to get into a disbute over this query.

I am grateful to all of you for taking the time to address my questions.

Respectfully,

Gsayhi

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by ChrisBBB
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by jon1066