Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Basing 6mm redux
TOPIC: Basing 6mm redux
PM peter
Administrator
Basing 6mm redux
peter
6th Feb 2021 11:43:25

On another thread, a question was asked:

"Okay, help me understand what I'm getting and what it is going to mount on. If I take 6 strips of 4 infantry figures (a battalion by my rules) those will all fit on Baccus 40mm x 20mm base. Correct? Can even more strips fit on that size?"

Here is my take on this.   Yes, they will fit easily on your base, but I think that you will find it will look crowded and 'blocky' if you are trying to model a Napoleonic or similar unit.   It's not a bad look for Ancients where formation were deeper, but not for more linear forms of warfare.   You can get four deep, but once again, use with care.

At the risk of sounding controversial, I originally opted for a larger base size than this as the basis of what we do at Baccus because the larger area allowed for more variation and dioramic options and in my opinion looked a lot better than the 40x20.   However, everyone has their own opinion on such matters and practical considerations such as available table size and storage may come into play.

In the end, Beauty (and practicality) is in the eye of the Beholder.

Now, play nicely.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
Basing 6mm redux
LEmpereur
6th Feb 2021 11:45:55

We have chosen the 6mm figures for the large bases which allow the figures to be arranged in various ways. And so, to give a great variety of bases and a nice mass effect!

however this does not allow to represent the different combat formations which are necessary for certain games!
That's why, We have adopted the Polemos rules, but others must allow it ... so Gsayhi choose your rule, choose your basing, put plenty figures on those and HAVE FUN !!!
Because today, for to much of us, there is may be only one space of relaxation, fun and joy ... and this forum must stay one of those!

So here you can see several way to base your infantry figures on a 6x6cm base :

And here some cavalry bases on the left below :

We live difficult times, but life stay beautifull and will be better... so keep this place pleasant, have fun and take care of you !

And open this f... cart!

;-)

Vive L'Empereur !

:D :D :D

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

PM pushing.tin
Standard User
Basing 6mm redux
pushing.tin
6th Feb 2021 01:34:01

I base 18th/19th century troops on 2x1.5cm bases, with a number of bases to a unit, but that is mostly because I use rules that have formation changes.

I know that is not everyone's cup of tea, some prefer to abstact all that messy formation stuff, but I think a case can be made from a tactical game perspective and I also prefer my troops to look like they are in line if they are in line, column if they are in column, square if they are in square and march column if they are marching along a road.

I also prefer my bases to mostly be the figures and leave majestic landscape diorama to terrain on the board rather than individual bases. The one exception I make is command stands, I sometimes tend to make these more scenic, especially if they are a mostly fixed command post.

However that's just my personal preference, other approaches are of course equally valid. 

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Basing 6mm redux
Glenn Pearce
6th Feb 2021 01:51:18

Absolutely, they are your figures and your rules commercial or otherwise, base them anyway you want. Your only limited by your own creativity.

PM mluiesp
Standard User
Basing 6mm redux
mluiesp
6th Feb 2021 04:26:35

The 1 rule in wargaming

Use the same rules/basing etc than the other person you are playing with.

It's a mess otherwise

If you are playing solo, you may say pew, pew, die, die, if it fancies you.

And if you disagree with me, that's fine with me. I'm too Canarian to be angry about that.

Some pre-covid Canarian music to lighten things up: https://invidious.snopyta.org/watch?v=RsKGICn2eNA

PM Baldie
Standard User
Basing 6mm redux
Baldie
6th Feb 2021 08:44:12

Slight ammendment to the base to your opponent comment.

Whilst I totally agree with the statement my current strategy is to base two sides easy to do with these super little chaps and use em to entice chums to play, that way you get to dictate the base size.

I have gone for 40mm bases as I am using em for DBN, for muskets at 6mm scale you only need 8 on a base but I have put 16 on it. This has two advantages as it makes the unit look right and when two bases are put together they look more like a cohesive unit.

Plan is to use em simply as that for BP and Blucher or do as others said and stick two together as a unit.

Concentrating on the Russians first as i have fallen into using them in as many wargames as i can. Then plan to get the French must say I am loving how they look.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by ChrisBBB
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by jon1066
2nd May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS