Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > ACW vs Ancients
TOPIC: ACW vs Ancients
PM nicholasc
Standard User
ACW vs Ancients
nicholasc
30th Mar 2021 02:41:06

Hey everyone, I am stuck between choosing ancients or ACW to start wargaming.  I want to have something that is fun and interetsing.  What should i pick?  I am also looking for minitures who can represent Jewish soldiers during the age of the Jewish revolt.  Which minitures could best represent Jewish soldiers during that time.

Last question:   Is the ACW box set worth it?

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
ACW vs Ancients
dourpuritan
30th Mar 2021 03:05:04

A difficult decision as there are two excellent sets of rules that cater for ACW 6mm - Altar of Freedom and Bloody Big Battles. The writers of AoF also produce a great 6mm Ancient set called Hanibal. My one thought on this is that the ACW has been undergoing a bit of a redesign of late, resulting in more robust figures and the soon to be released railway.

AoF and Hannibal are both available from Little Wars TV. The AoF support site is http://www.6mmacw.com

BBB is available from Caliver Books, plus there are additional scenarios on what replaced Yahoo. I'm sure Chris Pringle, who is the author will be along soon to give further advice.

A little goes a long way

PM nicholasc
Standard User
ACW vs Ancients
nicholasc
30th Mar 2021 03:09:08

So should I go with Ancients and if so, which minitures would best reprsent Jewish soldiers aroun 70 ad. Like siege of jersuslam, masada etc.  I will be using the Little wars tv rule sets, age of hannibal and alter of freedom 

PM lukicpz35t
Standard User
ACW vs Ancients
lukicpz35t
30th Mar 2021 04:51:13

I came to the conclusion that some greek psiloi and slingers would do the trick. But then I would add some imitation legionaries for the heavy troopers (if there were any), just to differentiate them from the roman legionaries. I have an Early Roman Imperial army based for DBA 3.0, and sooner or later will have to paint some jewish revolt.

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ACW vs Ancients
ironass
30th Mar 2021 07:47:33

I am very partial for the ACW... but my opinion does not matter... I am too partial. Only a small comment: this Forum is the right place to ask questions and have very good recomendations... one of the best  places to ask for advice and proxies. Good luck with Massada...

PM ChrisBBB
Standard User
ACW vs Ancients
ChrisBBB
31st Mar 2021 08:28:50

If you want "fun and interesting", I vote ACW over Ancients very time. Depends what you consider to be fun and interesting, of course, but if it's about the quantity and range of challenging tabletop decisions you get to make, I reckon no contest. Here's why.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
ACW vs Ancients
Glenn Pearce
31st Mar 2021 01:56:01

Yes indeed the ACW Boxed Set is worth it! The problem is presently your only able to order 50 pounds at a time. It also includes the very creative Polemos ACW rule set which is actually two rule sets in one book. One for smaller battles and the other for larger battles. It also contains bases, flags, etc. All stuff that you will have to buy anyways.  It also used the same basing as Altar of Freedom so you can play all three rule sets with no basing adjustments. So if you do decide you want to purchase the ACW Boxed Set simply send an email to Baccus and ask them how and when can you make the purchase. No question this set will allow you to jump start your ACW project. Also note Baccus sell brushes and a basing terrain kit that will give your bases a professional look. 

PM Baron Clenawly
Standard User
ACW vs Ancients
Baron Clenawly
31st Mar 2021 09:07:42

Returning to your original question; I think the Jewish Revolt would be more siege based eg Masada, whereas the ACW was more 'field' battles.

'Ancients' is a term used to describe some of the most fascinating and diverse conflicts in History that have come to determine the world that we live in today.

PM David Kay
Standard User
ACW vs Ancients
David Kay
2nd Apr 2021 08:09:57

Ancients offers a wider degree in freedom and imagination due to the variable quality and quantity of factual information available (and what is available is open to different interpretations in some cases). So if you are happy to fight non-historical opponents then Ancients offers more long term variations, whilst you know you are stuck with two sides for ACW but you have more information on making them historically precise.

In terms of the Jewish revolt, as mentioned some of the Greek and Macedonian ranges are probably the best starting point. The WRG book Armies and Enemies of Rome has some illustrations.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Bloody big battles basing by Talbot
3rd May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by jon1066
3rd May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by milopea
3rd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
2nd May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS