Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Fun? with flags
TOPIC: Fun? with flags
PM mluiesp
Standard User
Fun? with flags
mluiesp
10th Apr 2021 02:24:52

OK, so I finally came to my senses and ordered a small 7YW force from Baccus. Now, while I wait for the little Prussians to arrive, I think I could do something about their flags.

Now, my idea is to make a fictional force, of the fictional "Unsere Kleine Liebe Republik - Ost". One in which a guy called Erich Honneker ends up being president, Oh, and incidently, there's a wall.

Anyway for the flags, I'm thinking on a mix and match of Prussian and GDR (East German) designs, and for that I would need to know some appropiate dimensions, so I can design, print and attach them to the final units.

So, if you can help.

PM mluiesp
Standard User
Fun? with flags
mluiesp
10th Apr 2021 04:01:36

A flag should be hereç

This is the general idea

PM hwiccee
Standard User
Fun? with flags
hwiccee
10th Apr 2021 05:02:48

A great idea. I did something similar many years ago in another scale. I have been thinking of doing it again in 6mm now :)

On the size of flag I think a height of about 10mm will be OK for infantry, or a little smaller - 8mm maybe. Probably 8mm is more accurate but bigger flags look good. When I print flags I print them as a single item so I allow some space for the part that is wrapped around the pole. So this flag is square and if I was making it 10mm high I would make it 22mm long - 10mm for each side and 2mm for the pole. Then I would fold it in half and add it to the pole.

Also remember that cavalry flags usually need to me a smaller height, but can be more rectangular. So make them 8mm high or probably even 6mm . So I might go for cavalry flags 6mm high but maybe 16 or 18mm long - i.e. 6mm high by 8 or 9mm long when added to the pole.

I hope this helps.

PM njt236
Standard User
Fun? with flags
njt236
10th Apr 2021 11:36:51

That flag would lend itself perfectly for a fictional Prussian style army of the 1870's

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

PM mluiesp
Standard User
Fun? with flags
mluiesp
12th Apr 2021 12:06:01

Thank you for your help. I have made an attempt on a cavalry flag based on your input :)

I will be playing solo, for I know of no other who would play 6mm in my area, but that has the advantage of being able to go wild and whimsical

Fictional flag

PM mluiesp
Standard User
Fun? with flags
mluiesp
12th Apr 2021 09:49:01

Err, I cannot be doing this and pretend to be traditional, but let's say inspired by history. And, besides, it would be practical on the gaming table (yes, those are my cuirassiers...)

Strichtarn from wikipedia By Thimbleweed - This file has been extracted from another file: Camo patterns.jpg, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=53820994

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Fun? with flags
dourpuritan
13th Apr 2021 07:52:36

I measured the Baccus flags I use for my SYW armies and they are 8mm x 8mm.

A little goes a long way

PM mluiesp
Standard User
Fun? with flags
mluiesp
13th Apr 2021 01:51:29

Thank you, doururitan, that's going to be helpful. :)

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
Fun? with flags
ironass
18th Apr 2021 04:49:37

In my experience what really makes a unit SHOW on the tabletop or the most important detail to carefully considere is the FLAGS... specially in 6 mm. Sometimes I wonder why (maybe his plate is full nowadays) Peter does not increase the numbers and designs availabe in the Shop at Baccus.... 

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Bloody big battles basing by dourpuritan
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
1st May 2024

Vanquish show 6mm game by Estarriol
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
30th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS