Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > WSS Merode-Westerloo
TOPIC: WSS Merode-Westerloo
PM gsayhi
Standard User
WSS Merode-Westerloo
gsayhi
18th May 2021 12:18:34

Hello,

I'm building my 10mm army to fight an Elixheim scenario from Black Powder (However, I might use Piquet, Field of Battle rules to play it out).

One of the cavalry brigades is Spanish cavalry, the Merode Westerloo brigade. It has the regimientos de Gaetano, Acosta, and Heider. I can't find any uniform/flag info for these regiments. Anyone able to share some information on this?

Respectfully,

Gsayhi.

PM hwiccee
Standard User
WSS Merode-Westerloo
hwiccee
18th May 2021 10:46:30

Gsayhi,

I am afraid there is a shortage of info on the Spanish in this period and no good information at all on those Spanish (they are Walloons) fighting in Flanders.

I don't have my information to hand but I think I remember nothing at all is know about these units. The Walloon units generally seem to be in grey/white coats with grey/white, red or blue facings. I did one unit in each colour facing I think. I gave them the 'Cross of Burgundy' flag as this was a common Spanish flag.

PM gsayhi
Standard User
WSS Merode-Westerloo
gsayhi
19th May 2021 02:19:45

Thanks hwiccee! I appreciate it.

PM mluiesp
Standard User
WSS Merode-Westerloo
mluiesp
21st May 2021 12:05:29

There's some information here: http://caballipedia.es/Categor%C3%ADa:Unidades_del_siglo_XVII

and

http://caballipedia.es/Uniformidad_de_Carlos_II

Caballipedia.es being a "wiki" of Spanish Cavalry, it's all in Spanish and uses some old-fashioned Spanish, so you might want to use rae.es (the "official" dictionary) and Google translate

PM gsayhi
Standard User
WSS Merode-Westerloo
gsayhi
21st May 2021 03:59:13

Thank you for the info. It didn't have any info on the specific regiments but I appreciate your thought and response. I'll keep looking.

PM Antioch
Standard User
WSS Merode-Westerloo
Antioch
21st May 2021 04:03:45

There is some excellent Spanish WSS information (in English) located in the free downloads area of the Minairons site by Louis. (Sorry you will have to google it, don't want to post links to another miniatures site on the Baccus forum. )
            Bob

PM hwiccee
Standard User
WSS Merode-Westerloo
hwiccee
21st May 2021 05:04:39

mluiesp thank you for this, a very useful site.

Can I ask you if you know a Spanish site about the War of the Spanish Succession in Spain and Portugal? I have some books & website about the battles in Spain but I want something on the whole war. In particular, I am looking for details on the Spanish and French units in the war. The orders of battle of the armies in the campaigns. Not in the battles but just in the campaigns.

Do you know any source for this?

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by Rob Thorn
4th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
4th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
4th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by David Kay
4th May 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
3rd May 2024