Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > The magic number
TOPIC: The magic number
PM jssecker@hotmail.com
Standard User
The magic number
jssecker@hotmail.com
10th Oct 2022 11:52:08

I have a question which has been nagging me for some time. It's about "the number" - the order number which is quoted each week to tell us about progress. From various posts over the months we are told that there are higher order numbers that have been sent out, and that some lower numbers may not have been sent out, for various reasons. So my question is - how is the number decided upon? It's not the highest order number which has been sent out, nor is it the lowest unsent order number. So how do you actually decide each Friday what the magic number is going to be?

John Secker

PM peter
Administrator
The magic number
peter
12th Oct 2022 09:32:08

The 'magic number' is a bit of a moving target.   We get orders for 'stock items' such as rules, scenics, flags etc.  These do not have to be cast and are sent out within a couple of days.  As a result, there are always orders of this kind sent out in advance.

We have a team of casters, usually working on specific periods or genres.   On any given week the range of orders vary considerably in size and composition.  As a result, by the time we get to putting a close on the week's production, some orders my be cast in advance of what will be the number for the week.  By the same token, there will usually be a couple that didn't quite make the cut.  

We look at the order table and find the most advanced number of the completed orders, taking into account the stock item orders.   We double check those prior to the stated weekly number and ensure that they will be first in the queue to be processed in the following week.

On the whole, it tends to be an art, not a science, but does give an indication of where we are to those awaiting their orders.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM blucher1815
Standard User
The magic number
blucher1815
13th Oct 2022 10:47:35

Hi having just finished a run of nightshifts on a busy ward can I just say thanks Peter for your reply as it made me smile. I have often wondered how the magic number worked out and from your answer I now appreciate the effort put into it thanks

PM peter
Administrator
The magic number
peter
14th Oct 2022 09:29:59

I hope that you are now in the ranks of the Enlightened!

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM jssecker@hotmail.com
Standard User
The magic number
jssecker@hotmail.com
14th Oct 2022 08:00:10

Yes, thanks indeed for this explanation. I feel I have now been ininitiated into the signs and lesser sigils.

John Secker

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Bloody big battles basing by dourpuritan
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
1st May 2024

Vanquish show 6mm game by Estarriol
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
30th Apr 2024