Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > French Elite Troops
TOPIC: French Elite Troops
PM Norsemaelstrom
Standard User
French Elite Troops
Norsemaelstrom
12th Nov 2022 11:55:23

Hello everyone! I recently picked up a French starter army for 1806-1812 and I discovered that it contained some line infantry that the website calls Elite troops. I am new to the period and believe the term Elite troops refers to the Young and Old Guard? Is this the case and if not what figures from Baccus would be considered Young/Old Guard? Thanks!

PM Bunny
Standard User
French Elite Troops
Bunny
14th Nov 2022 07:50:37

Hi Norse,

No the elites are the grenadier and voltigure companies with the battalion.

PM peter
Administrator
French Elite Troops
peter
14th Nov 2022 01:16:25

Each battalion will consist of 1 command, 4 line and one elite strip.  The elites, as Bunny correctly points out, are the Grenadiers and Voltogeurs.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM Norsemaelstrom
Standard User
French Elite Troops
Norsemaelstrom
23rd Nov 2022 02:59:07

Thank you for the information. Which figures in your line would be used to represent the Old and Young Guards?

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
French Elite Troops
Whirlwind
23rd Nov 2022 07:04:12

Old Guard infantry would mainly be NFR04,021 and 028 and 029, essentially any foot code with 'Grenadier' in the title.  Young Guard would typically be NFR02,03,023,024, 026, 027, so anything with 'Elite' or 'Voltigeur' in the title. There were a couple of minor details of difference between Guard troops and their nearest Line equivalents, but nothing you are usually going to notice in 6mm, except that quite a lot of Young Guard troops did not have epaulettes, but did have sabres.  So, pick your poison, you might want to represent higher numbered Young Guard regiments in particular with line troops.  As to whether any individual unit of the guard was elite, it depends on the unit, depends on the year, depends on what you are counting as 'elite'.

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
French Elite Troops
ironass
23rd Nov 2022 07:40:46

I was a Napoleonic wargamer for thirty years... not anymore... Whirlwind is right (absolutey) specially in 6mm... but I suggest (humbly) that nothing equals a prior documentation. Try the Books by Jouineau-Mongin... excellent references!... always remember that in 20 years the Guard evolued in numbers and organization in the afore mentioned books (also edited in English) there is an excellent explanation... try the link to HISTOIRE&COLLECTIONS EDITIONS. It is a French Editorial but where to get good info about The French if not in France?

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
French Elite Troops
ironass
29th Nov 2022 09:37:46

Useful INFO:

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
French Elite Troops
ironass
29th Nov 2022 09:40:17

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
French Elite Troops
ironass
29th Nov 2022 09:45:15

As I said before some are out of print... some not... English editions available.  About the Line Infantry (Light Infantry is always Elite... stands represents Brigades -usually- but you can put some elite cos in each flank Carabiniers with Bearskin -or Colpack mind!-  and Chasseurs with Shako on the other)... Line Infantry is even easier flank Cos Grenadiers (with bearskin or Shako with red plume -your choice-) and Voltigeurs on the other flank (Shako with yellow plume or bicolor yellowandgreen). The French Napoleonic Army is truly colourful and almost anything goes... it was cannon fodder alright... but with class!

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
French Elite Troops
ironass
29th Nov 2022 11:45:30

Cavalry and Artillery I guess everybody knows... no many problems painting those! Cheers

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Bloody big battles basing by dourpuritan
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
1st May 2024

Vanquish show 6mm game by Estarriol
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
30th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS