Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > My wife noticed what I have been buying...
TOPIC: My wife noticed what I have been buying...
PM Brad1971
Standard User
My wife noticed what I have been buying...
Brad1971
21st Dec 2022 12:55:02

Wife cornered me today after work asking me why I needed so many toy soldiers and why I keep buying them when I have so many still to paint.   I looked her square in the eye with a straight face and told her I am a wargamer and thats what we do so get used to it........   She stood shell shocked for a couple of minutes and then proceded to tell me I was ridiculous and that I better not lose my job.   I think I am going to get her to play and convert her.   She does this about once a year and she always rolls her eyes when she comes into my hobby hole in the basement haha.    But honestly I cannot be alone in always buying stuff and starting new projects before old ones are complete can I?

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Whirlwind
21st Dec 2022 04:39:09

Buying stuff and starting new projects before old ones are complete is completely wargamer normal, you are not the only one.  But that said, I make sure the amount I buy is broadly equal to the amount I paint, so I don't ever have too much in the lead pile at any one time.

PM Berggeit
Standard User
Berggeit
21st Dec 2022 06:55:28

One and a half year into the hobby... haven't yet finished any project... Most often because I leave the goal of the project fague. Mostly have 28mm kits for Forstgrave, Stargrave and Rangers of Shadowdeep. My brain either tells me to wait things to improve, especially with 40K stuff. Or you should get those kits so you have more parts for kitbashes. 

I don't think its terrible, I am having fun with what I am doing. Doubt many people, outside the hobby, understand. For now I plan to work out a project first on paper, then buy the miniatures, finish those and then start a new project.

That said, I will make an exception for the first proper project. Inspired by the LWTV 1066 campaign. I want a proper 6mm historical wargame, 6mm historical wargaming was one of the main reasons I got interested in the hobby. 

PM monk2002uk
Standard User
monk2002uk
21st Dec 2022 07:55:02

Not all of us are afflicted in this way. Mine is a resin pile.... ;-) LOL

Robert

PM Berggeit
Standard User
Berggeit
21st Dec 2022 08:00:56

Robert, Robert. Substituting resin for metal or plastic makes no difference.

(I totally don't have a stl pile while I don't even have a 3D printer...)

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
21st Dec 2022 09:06:28

You are not alone. I have the entire range of Pony Wars still without a lick of paint, yet I am now planning the 1066 campaign. Meanwhile a 15mm Wars of the Roses project is still making slow progress on my painting desk. Maybe I should spend less time on this computer.

A little goes a long way

PM DuncanWB
Standard User
DuncanWB
21st Dec 2022 02:26:45

I'm working on the principle that so long as I've painted more than 60% of the little men I can buy some more. Therefore the lead hillock keeps growing, but as I'm keeping pace with the 60% mark it's all good!

Wife hasn't noticed yet...

Altera Restat

PM Brad1971
Standard User
Brad1971
21st Dec 2022 07:31:48

I am amazed people can keep up even 50 percent!   Congrats to you I am in awe.   However in regards 6mm my new favorite scale and the only one I will buy in the future I actually have painted 1/2 of my orders, but one of the unpainted orders is rather larger than the 2 I painted.   I do find it fun that I can sit and paint 192 figures at a time over a few days versus taking a month to paint 30 larger scale figures.   6mm is def quicker to get on the table to game with and the detail on these little guy sis simply amazing.  I had them under the magnifying glass and they are better detailed than alot of even 28mm stuff I have had in the past.  How do they sculp something so tiny!

PM DuncanWB
Standard User
DuncanWB
21st Dec 2022 10:12:26

That 60% is of all my 6mm. so the more I paint, the more I order and the larger the unpainted lead pile becomes. My last order has just arrived earlier than expected but in time for Christmas so I'm back below 60% now.  Still looking at the Catalogue to decide on the next order... 

I love painting these little guys. Looking back at some of my larger scale stuff from 40 years ago (25 and 15mm painted in enamels)  I reckon I'm painting the little guys at least as well. But now I'm getting unit after unit churned out week by week where it used to take months. 

Altera Restat

PM Peoplescavalry
Standard User
Peoplescavalry
21st Dec 2022 10:23:00

So let's see, 6mm ancient, ACW, Napoleonic, 3mm SYW, 2mm ACW, 10mm ACW and WoTR none finished and I doubt they ever will. Not a bad pile for a 18 months !

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by ChrisBBB
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by jon1066
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
2nd May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS