Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Game of thrones
TOPIC: Game of thrones
PM Captain Brockman
Standard User
Game of thrones
Captain Brockman
18th Mar 2023 07:19:22

for the unsullied i have used APE16 with no modifcations other than removing the standard bearer, real easy paint job 1 hour per pack , as follows...

undercoat = black

highlight = german dark grey

face / hands = dark flesh

spears = dark brown

spear tips/shield boss = gun metal

Valar Morghulis

PM Nipples-miniac
Standard User
Game of thrones
Nipples-miniac
28th Mar 2023 11:59:10

Always wanted to do something like this with lore and book accurate armies with a real campaign. How are you figuring lists?

PM njvfrancke
Standard User
Game of thrones
njvfrancke
30th Mar 2023 03:44:12

Yeah this does look really cool.What system are you using?

PM Captain Brockman
Standard User
Game of thrones
Captain Brockman
31st Mar 2023 12:08:46

hi guys I shall be using Dragon Rampant, I guess I could have used Lion Rampant, but kinda like the extra magic aspect of Dragon Rampant, ie for dragon fire  and the Red woman,.. the photo above shows a unsullied but only half of a full unit, as these were purchased as  a sample,  more expected  anytime soon, 

example.. infantry strength 12, represented by 6 bases of a strength of 2 per base.. (of course i shall need to have a  half base for any odd number of loss to the unit) 

I can cover most westerosi troop types, but i am having to improvise for essosi troops, I really need to locate some barbarian types with swords etc but NO shields, i am hoping as fantasy troops get expanded they may include such types.. , slow but sure build up  for me as i only purchased sample packs,, so only half units  painted so far.... oh and  my command  base :-D    

Valar Morghulis

PM jon1066
Standard User
Game of thrones
jon1066
31st Mar 2023 01:12:51

Great looking stuff so far.

For Barbarians with swords have you seen AIN03 - Classical Indian infantry with swords and no shields.  COuld fit the bill.

ADA04 could also suit (Roman - Dacians).

PM Captain Brockman
Standard User
Game of thrones
Captain Brockman
1st Apr 2023 07:00:19

great shout out jon1066.  thank you very much , my next order will include ADA04  for  sure  :-D ..

I do think some none.discript skirmisher type troops would be useful for many periods, ie;  no helmets or shields ( or cast shields that can be easily snipped off :-D  )  with hand ax, or sword.  there is an amazing array of line troops for all periods,, but very few that will pass as ''hoard / rabble '' types,  untill such time i'll keep bashing out what troops i can to the painting gods :

a large plastic £2 dragon from a toy shop is waiting in the wings ( no pun intended ) for when i hit a painters block :-D

Valar Morghulis

PM Rakkasan
Standard User
Game of thrones
Rakkasan
1st Apr 2023 12:31:06

Some other options would be AEG03, Egyptian axemen, MFE03 or 05, Welsh and Scottish spearmen, or CMA01, Mahdist sword and spearmen.   WEC46 and 47, Lower class highlanders or WEC13, armed peasants.  Finally, there may be some useful figures in EMV05 Luminaries and Loonies (perhaps the best named pack in the entire Baccus range.)

PM Captain Brockman
Standard User
Game of thrones
Captain Brockman
2nd Apr 2023 07:19:34

i had planned on getting some luminaries, although i do not think i would  find many of the figures useful , Mahdist sword/ spear may be my best option if i can cut away the shileds easy enough, as for the others you list the shields would be too much work to remove,,  as for Dothraki, they are even harder to field, although i have used some mounted archers and converted their bows to look a bit like their 'arakh' weapons, i may end up sculpting a upper body and cast those and convert .... i still think there is a gap in unarmoured  no shield foot  and mounted figures, no otherr manufactures do these either........... my own fault for  starting on Essos troops first  :-D

Valar Morghulis

PM jon1066
Standard User
Game of thrones
jon1066
3rd Apr 2023 10:11:55

I suppose the problem is the difference between fantasy and reality.  The easiest thing to equip yourself with is a bit of wood to stop people shooting you full of arrows.  So in history that is what people did - grabbed a bit of wood and made a shield as they didn't want to get killed.  In Game of Thrones - not so much so the designers and author can have a field day with wacky troops and non sensical equipment.

PM Captain Brockman
Standard User
Game of thrones
Captain Brockman
8th Jul 2023 08:11:28

yay  EMK2  perfect for Bolton infantry :-D ,  see the  ''battle of the bathtubs''  episode ( HBO )   :-D  

Valar Morghulis

LATEST FORUM POSTS

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
25th Apr 2024