Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Are forums like this becoming obsolete ?
TOPIC: Are forums like this becoming obsolete ?
PM Wg Cdr Luddite
Standard User
Are forums like this becoming obsolete ?
Wg Cdr Luddite
19th Jul 2023 08:08:08

Bearing in mind that I am an aging Luddite technophobe, I have to agree with @dourpuritan that I can no longer be bothered jumping through all the hoops to post pictures on forums like this. Life's too short.
It's much easier on Discord servers- just copy and paste.

Anyone else feel like this ?

For those who want a look, here is an invite to The Joy of Vitual Six Discord server :

https://discord.gg/Jc5DzUfZY5

PM HyveMynd
Standard User
HyveMynd
19th Jul 2023 11:39:15

Well, possibly. The thing about Discord servers though is that they don't really preserve information. At least not in an easily accessible way.

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
20th Jul 2023 06:44:35

I guess we are becoming obsolete every minute... If NAPOLEON (That Hollywood bioepic from Scott/Phoenix) does not boost Baccus Napoleonic reange nothing will (No fan of the too bigheaded Adler but to each its own taste!)

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
20th Jul 2023 08:06:43

TBH I like the written information, but often posted photos on various forums are unhelpful. An example was one I saw yesterday on a YouTube group. Look at this battle we've just played: about a dozen photos of the table from various angles, but not a single figure could be identified. It was like looking at a battle from a helicopter 1000 metres up. I would suggest that people do need to see the actual figures. On this forum people generally do show a few closeups of the figures, which can be very helpful to those who paint their own. But yes, posting photos is a fiddly process. I am only on three forums. I have mastered posting photos on Peter Pig and Honours of War, but I have always had trouble with this one and so have stopped. If I have stuff I want to post it will go on the YouTube 2mm and small scale group.

A little goes a long way

PM Berggeit
Standard User
Berggeit
21st Jul 2023 07:49:01

Forums are a public space and can be queried by search engines, which is useful to answer questions. Discord is private and I find it rather difficult to find servers interested in Historical wargames, with the exception of Discords of Youtubers I follow. However I do think they compliment eachother. Discord is great for work in process and conversations, while forums are great for battle rapports and finished projects. 

Posting images here is a bit convoluted as a quick way around it, you could upload images to igmur and insert the link to the album. 

Standard User
dourpuritan
21st Jul 2023 12:05:08

Discord is another mystery to me. I did manage to get on it once, but couldn't really work out what its point was. The next time I went on it it refused to recognise my password, which, being me, resulted in my usual life's too short attitude and I never went back.

A little goes a long way

Standard User
dourpuritan
21st Jul 2023 12:09:41

Now I think on, I managed the first 50 years of my life without forums, YouTubes or anything else (I was on twitter twice before I decided it was spherical objects), so probably explains why I'm not too bothered about forums. I was on a well known 10mm one for years, but the weird egos of certain members eventually turned me off. Still buy the products  though.

A little goes a long way

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
21st Jul 2023 07:03:50

What is really obsolete is the Postal System... I have no reasons to doubt has send me a couple of standardbearers (weeks ago)... also Leon of Pendraken sent tome some MDF bases and LITXO explosion markers... no seen both of them...                                                                                                                      Nowadays when I do something... less ans less... I try to concentrate the order and use DHL... its expensive but a couple of days a year is not so if you compare with the anguish of the Postal system (BREXIT did not help at all) and the FRench Post seems to enjoy delaying the parcels (even small one's)... THAT affects all magazine subscriptions... small orders... amazon books... whatever... and Summer Holidays do not help at all... all Postmen and Postwomen are propably at Marbella I guess... At least that is my point of view... and living in the back of beyond do not help at all. Cheers.

PM Captain Brockman
Standard User
Captain Brockman
21st Jul 2023 09:13:05

'' Wg Cdr Luddite''

would asking on this forum, actualy answer your own question

Valar Morghulis

PM peter
Administrator
peter
26th Jul 2023 08:58:46

There are a number of different means of communication between members of interest groups.  Not every form suits every person.   I can't get on with Discord.  Lots and lots of others can.   I tried and gave up on the platform formerly know as Twitter.   I use Facebook, am attempting to get a You Tube presence and haven't got a clue with Snapchat.   Others experience will differ.  

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by ChrisBBB
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by jon1066
2nd May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS