Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > GNW Russian infantry needed
TOPIC: GNW Russian infantry needed
PM Wealdmaster
Standard User
GNW Russian infantry needed
Wealdmaster
29th Jul 2023 06:19:04

When the updated GNW range was released with Swedish infantry, simultaneous statements were made by Baccus that Russian counterparts would be created to match them.  Seeing the updated statement yesterday was quite dissapointing because it seems that at least for basic infantry poses, this is no longer the case.  Although Western European uniforms were very similar, the existing WSS01 code is in no way similar to the new Swedish infantry being smaller and less detailed (i.e. muskets and bayonets, mitre caps, etc.) making them unsuitable tabletop companions at least for my aesthetics.  I fear that the time and money spent on my Swedes has been wasted as without basic Russian foot figures to be arrayed oppposite them, they will languish in a box like Swedes done in other scales which became part of the many half finished ranges for the GNW. 

PM peter
Administrator
peter
31st Jul 2023 09:42:49

While your disappointment is obvious, the reasoning behind our decision was considered and, to my mind at least, perfectly reasonable.   I set out with the intention of commissioning new sculpts for the Russian line, but very quickly it became apparent that this was not really needed.   Peter ‘westernised’ his army, and the uniforms and equipment adopted was the standard kit used across the Europe.   There were certainly no distinct features that (at 6mm) would make a Russian soldier different to a British, Austrian, French or Dutch musketeer or pikemen.   We don’t make individual sculpts for those nationalities and the Russians are not an exception.

What we have done is put the resources into expanding and introducing new codes where needed.  You already have new Strelzi, ‘old’ infantry and an expanded Cossack option.  You will get Dragoons in Kartuz, both mounted and dismounted and new command strips to accommodate the larger colours carried by Russian Dragoons.  You will get new mounted and foot grenadiers. You will get a beautifully sculpted range of Russian generals.  You will get three new Russian flag sheets.

All of these will be produced by the same sculptor who designed the WSS range, the Swedish GNW figures, the new Poles and will be completing the Ottomans.  

Once painted, flagged and based I think that all of the above will make perfect allies and opponents for your Swedes and any differences in heft will disappear.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM Wealdmaster
Standard User
Wealdmaster
31st Jul 2023 07:48:01

Your reply is appreciated.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by ChrisBBB