Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Looking for Players > Ancient Wargaming in the Netherlands
TOPIC: Ancient Wargaming in the Netherlands
PM Philhellene
Standard User
Ancient Wargaming in the Netherlands
Philhellene
4th Feb 2021 08:12:30

There have already been a few Dutch threads posted on this forum the past few years, but I'd like to know if there is a club or a few clubless individuals in the Netherlands that are interested in playing 6mm Ancients (after the Covid-19 situation of course).

I'm pretty new to the hobby in general, so I don't know which of the rulesets are preferred around here, although I'm most likely going to base my future army for Warmaster Ancients - so if anyone has a 10mm army and doesn't mind playing against someone with a 6mm one I'm open to that as well! :-)

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
5th Feb 2021 02:05:25

Not an ancient wargamer as I have never found a set of rules that really captures it for me. Well, not since Hoplite Warfare in the 1970s. I also prefer to play solo these days. However, Karwansaray BV in Zutphen, publishers of Wargames Soldiers and Strategy, may be able to help if you call Jasper Oorthuys on 0575 776076, at the WSS offices. He will be able to point you in the direction of Dutch wargames clubs. Unfortunately, despite being a Dutch published magazine, WSS is only available in English. Succes en tot ziens,

Andy (Delfzijl)

A little goes a long way

PM Nick the Lemming
Standard User
Nick the Lemming
5th Feb 2021 06:17:09

I was about to suggest contacting Jasper myself! He's a very friendly and knowledgeable bloke and I'm sure would be most helpful.

PM Philhellene
Standard User
Philhellene
5th Feb 2021 11:15:59

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll look into contacting him anytime soon.

PM frederick_the_green
Standard User
frederick_the_green
12th Feb 2021 09:03:49

Amsterdam Six Shooters are also a good place to start.

I cannot attend as regularly as I like, but I have Persian, Macedonian, Republican Roman & Carthiginian armies all based up for Age of Hannibal.

Maybe we can arrange a wee game?

They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
14th Feb 2021 11:18:29

Hi Phil, take a look at the thread I have opened in "general" re Little Wars TV Patrons. Great news for 6mm Ancient players.

Tot ziens, Andy

P.S. this will revatalise my Ancient gaming after 20 years in hibernation.

A little goes a long way

PM David Kay
Standard User
David Kay
18th Feb 2021 09:34:12

Phil,

Not sure if you are a member of the Society of Ancients - I know some of the posters on this site are - if so it might be worth using their "players seeking players" section on the society's forum pages.

PM Philhellene
Standard User
Philhellene
19th Feb 2021 02:20:52

My apologies for the late reply to my own thread! I got unexpectedly busy the past two weeks...

@frederick_the_green
I'm planning to make a small Seleucid army - I'll have to look into the differences between basing for Warmaster Ancients and Age of Hannibal, but I'm definitely up for a game or two down the line!

@dourpuritan (/Andy)
I'll read that thread in a minute, I've heard about some kind of patron action by Little Wars a short while back, but I haven't had time to look into that up until today.

@David Kay
I've actually never heard about the Society of Ancients up until now (I'm a bit new to the hobby...), I'll check their forum soon.

Thank you for the replies!

PM Leftblank
Standard User
Leftblank
8th Mar 2021 11:05:37

I'm the webmaster of the Amsterdam6shooters. We have a lively club, about 40 full members and a large group of irregular visitors. Half of us play historical (myself included) and the other half 40K. I play 15mm Ancients & Renaissance and 6mm Napoleonics and WW2. We have quite a few players who have ancient armies themselves or like the period. We have no favorite ruleset although I prefer the simplicity of DBA. I recently tried MeG.

But that's Amsterdam. I don't know where you live. I know clubs in Utrecht and Delft and smaller playing groups in other parts of the country. Best way to make new Dutch wargame friends is Facebook, Dutch Miniature Wargaming group.

Feel free to contact me if I can help you.

http://amsterdam6shooters.nl 

"The tin soldier melted down into a lump, and the next morning, when the maid servant took the ashes out of the stove, she found him in the shape of a little tin heart." - Hans Christiaan Andersen - The Brave Tin Soldier

PM Philhellene
Standard User
Philhellene
9th Jan 2022 09:25:41

I'm going to give this thread a bump with the notification that I'll finally start with painting somewhere next month in case people/groups are still up for a new guy to play ancients against. It's been a hectic last year with Covid for all of us I'd imagine.

On top of that there now are a few guys in the Rotterdam - The Hague metropolitan area that are starting with Napoleonics (which I've given priority right now) in 6mm. It's not really an 'official wargaming group', but after we've tried Blucher together one or two of us might be open to trying it out with other nappie fans as well.

@Leftblank thanks for the recommendation, if I'm ever able to visit Amsterdam on game days I'll shoot you guys a message (after the current Covid wave of course...)

LATEST FORUM POSTS

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by njt236
28th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by dourpuritan
28th Apr 2024

French white coat infantry in Tarleton helmets with colourful flags 1791-94 by Colin the Wargamer
27th Apr 2024

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS

LATEST RELEASES

HCNOMAD - Hail Caesar Arab Nomad ArmyHCNOMAD
Hail Caesar Arab Nomad Army

GNF11 - Ottoman Turkish FlagsGNF11
Ottoman Turkish Flags

AMN04 - Martu/Amorite ArchersAMN04