Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > British Guards in Bearskin 1854/1870
TOPIC: British Guards in Bearskin 1854/1870
Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
British Guards in Bearskin 1854/1870
dourpuritan
14th Aug 2022 08:36:30

How about British colonial CBR01 with a thin layer of greenstuff over the pith helmet. This gives the classic post-1856 tunic, the gaiters and no pack. A tedious job but pretty straightforward. You could back them up with the same figure having the the pith helmet filed flat on top to give a rendering of post 1856 British infantry in the shako most associated with the 1860s.

A little goes a long way

Standard User
dourpuritan
15th Aug 2022 09:50:04

I didn't realise that you did not paint your figures. Doesn't really seem anything else to suggest other than the 1870 French grenadiers, who unfortunately have a brass plate at the front and a cloth patch on the top of their bearskin. A pity there is not a dedicated Crimean range which would immediately solve the problem. Only other option is Irregulars 6mm Crimean range, which, although pretty extensive, is not to everyone's taste. Personally I do the Crimea in 10mm using Magister Militum figures.

A little goes a long way

Standard User
dourpuritan
15th Aug 2022 09:53:59

Incidentally what are the rules you are discussing. As I have both 6mm and 10mm FPW there would be an opportunity for me to do the same thing in 10mm using my Crimean figures.

A little goes a long way

Standard User
dourpuritan
16th Aug 2022 07:31:40

Good to hear that you are prepared to plough on with the project. I must admit I have very much admired your proxy Charge of the Light Brigade, and of course the Russian Opelchnie can make acceptable Russian infantry in field cap. A pity there are no Prussian 1870 figures in greatcoat, but there we go. Many thanks for the information about the rules; I will check them out. 

A little goes a long way

Standard User
dourpuritan
24th Aug 2022 10:50:59

I think you could proxy both British heavy cavalry and Russian dragoons using FPW Prussian dragoons.

A little goes a long way

Standard User
dourpuritan
24th Aug 2022 11:01:37

Some more proxy ideas: Turkish infantry use colonial Egyptians in white uniform. Cossacks use the Great War Russian cossacks (or possibly the Napoleonic as I am not certain of their dress in 1854).

A little goes a long way

PM peter
Administrator
peter
28th Feb 2023 11:41:20

It's not happening.  IF we ever do the Crimea, we'll do the lot, properly.   Honest.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

Standard User
dourpuritan
8th Jun 2023 08:07:02

Good to know. Don't ask me why (ok, you can, it's to do with different rule sets and game scale) but I am in the process of collecting the Crimea in both 10mm (Magister Militum) and 6mm (Irregular). This is a period which has fascinated me since I was about 7 years old. By the time I was 16 I had a pretty good 25mm Minifigs collection, but had to sell it once I moved away from home. It has always lingered in the back of my mind so now I am trying to put it all back together again in the smaller scales.

A little goes a long way

PM hejstinf
Standard User
hejstinf
13th Jun 2023 10:19:14

It sounds like you're describing a specific historical era and uniform for British colonial soldiers. The description you provided refers to the attire and equipment used by British infantry during the mid-19th century, particularly after 1856. Here's a breakdown of the elements you mentioned:

1. Colonial CBR01: It seems like you're referring to a specific figure or model representing a British colonial soldier. Without further context, it's challenging to provide specific details about this particular figure.

2. Thin layer of greenstuff over the pith helmet: Greenstuff is a modeling putty used by hobbyists to sculpt or modify miniature figures. Applying a thin layer of greenstuff over the pith helmet can give the appearance of additional texture or detail. The pith helmet itself was a type of lightweight hat made from pith (a material derived from plants) and was commonly worn by colonial troops.

3. Post-1856 tunic: The tunic worn by British infantry after 1856 typically featured a stand-up collar and a single row of buttons down the front. The specific design and color would depend on the regiment or unit being represented.

4. Gaiters: Gaiters are protective coverings worn over the lower leg, typically made of cloth or leather. They were commonly worn by soldiers during this time period to provide additional protection against dirt, debris, and insect bites.

5. No pack: It seems like you're referring to the absence of a backpack or pack worn by the soldiers. This could suggest that the figures represent troops in a non-combat or parade configuration, as soldiers would typically carry packs or knapsacks when on active duty.

6. Pith helmet filed flat on top: This modification to the pith helmet represents the transition from the pith helmet to the shako, which occurred around the 1860s. The shako was a tall, cylindrical headdress with a brim and a plume or pompon on top. Filing the pith helmet flat on top gives the appearance of a shako when viewed from a distance.

Overall, it seems like you're discussing customizing miniature figures to depict British colonial infantry during the mid-19th century, incorporating specific uniform and headgear variations. The level of detail and customization you described can indeed be a tedious task but can result in a more accurate representation of the historical period and its uniforms.

PM hejstinf
Standard User
hejstinf
13th Jun 2023 10:21:31

It sounds like you're describing a specific historical era and uniform for British colonial soldiers. The description you provided refers to the attire and equipment used by British infantry during the mid-19th century, particularly after 1856. Here's a breakdown of the elements you mentioned:

1. Colonial CBR01: It seems like you're referring to a specific figure or model representing a British colonial soldier. Without further context, it's challenging to provide specific details about this particular figure.

2. Thin layer of greenstuff over the pith helmet: Greenstuff is a modeling putty used by hobbyists to sculpt or modify miniature figures. Applying a thin layer of greenstuff over the pith helmet can give the appearance of additional texture or detail. The pith helmet itself was a type of lightweight hat made from pith (a material derived from plants) and was commonly worn by colonial troops.

3. Post-1856 tunic: The tunic worn by British infantry after 1856 typically featured a stand-up collar and a single row of buttons down the front. The specific design and color would depend on the regiment or unit being represented.

4. Gaiters: Gaiters are protective coverings worn over the lower leg, typically made of cloth or leather. They were commonly worn by soldiers during this time period to provide additional protection against dirt, debris, and insect bites.

5. No pack: It seems like you're referring to the absence of a backpack or pack worn by the soldiers. This could suggest that the figures represent troops in a non-combat or parade configuration, as soldiers would typically carry packs or knapsacks when on active duty.

6. Pith helmet filed flat on top: This modification to the pith helmet represents the transition from the pith helmet to the shako, which occurred around the 1860s. The shako was a tall, cylindrical headdress with a brim and a plume or pompon on top. Filing the pith helmet flat on top gives the appearance of a shako when viewed from a distance.

Overall, it seems like you're discussing customizing miniature figures to depict British colonial infantry during the mid-19th century, incorporating specific uniform and headgear variations. The level of detail and customization you described can indeed be a tedious task but can result in a more accurate representation of the historical period and its uniforms.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

French white coat infantry in Tarleton helmets with colourful flags 1791-94 by Colin the Wargamer
27th Apr 2024

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
26th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS

LATEST RELEASES

HCNOMAD - Hail Caesar Arab Nomad ArmyHCNOMAD