Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > Battle of the Hellespont 321BC
TOPIC: Battle of the Hellespont 321BC
PM diadochi
Standard User
Battle of the Hellespont 321BC
diadochi
5th Jan 2023 05:11:49

Aiming to refight this battle with my son.  The army of Craterus would have been mostly Macedonians with Greek mercenary troops and some Persian archers.  Opposing him was Eumenes of Cardia, satrap of Cappadocia.  He only had a limited number of Macedonian/Greek troops but lots of Cappadocian cavalry and infantry.  Thinking of using APE20 for light cavalry and APE22 for heavy cavalry, though by this time heavier Persian cavalry might have adopted the Macedonian Xyston.  Should I substitute Sarmatian cavalry on armoured horses for the heavies?  As for the infantry I thought perhaps APE16 Persian infantry with the hoplite shield or APE05 Armenian infantry with a mixture of Persian and Greek archers and slingers for the lighter skirmishers.

PM David Kay
Standard User
David Kay
6th Jan 2023 01:57:05

AMA13 might be a better bet than the Sarmatians for lance armed cavalry.

The battle was the subject of an article in Slingshot issue 340 (the Society of Ancients journal) but it didn't specifically discuss troop types.

PM David Kay
Standard User
David Kay
9th Jan 2023 08:32:49

Some of the Parthian cataphracts (APA3 - I think) come with baggy trousers instead of iron cladding to their legs and could also fit in as lancers. I've used them in various disguises across my armies.

PM diadochi
Standard User
diadochi
12th Jan 2023 03:39:10

Thanks, David, I'll consider both suggestions.  Information on the composition of forces for this battle is hard to find.  The Perdiccas Years by Tristan Hughes is a good read, from which I assume there was a core of Macedonians, Greek/Thracian mercenaries, Persian archers with Craterus and similar troops with Eumenes plus loads of Asiatic cavaly under Pharnabazus who happened to be Eumenes father-in-law.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by MattiT
29th Apr 2024

Price rise and the Golden Ticket by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by njt236
28th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS