> Forums
Reply
12
> General > Website Queries > Dismounted Great War Cavalry
TOPIC: Dismounted Great War Cavalry
PM Frenchie
Standard User
Posts: 30
Dismounted Great War Cavalry
Frenchie
27th Jun 2026 07:20:11

Hi all, I was just starting to paint my Great War collection (starting with 1914 French & German division packs, planning to play with Army Commander: Great War - thank you L'Empereur!) and I was looking at buying some additional cavalry from the FPW and Great War ranges to supplement the existing division packs. But from what I can see, the Early War Dismounted Uhlans are no longer available, in addition to the Dismounted British Cavalry and Late War French Cavalry? Am I missing these, is it a glitch, or is Peter no longer stocking these, these horsemen having galloped off into the far horizons? 


PM monk2002uk
Standard User
Posts: 236
Dismounted Great War Cavalry
monk2002uk
29th Jun 2026 06:09:55

The dismounted French Chasseurs are GWF06. Late war (LW) French cavalry dismounted have to be LW French infantry figures. Dismounted British cavalry are early war - GWB07.

Robert


PM Frenchie
Standard User
Posts: 30
Dismounted Great War Cavalry
Frenchie
29th Jun 2026 10:33:47

Thanks Robert! Somehow I must have missed the dismounted BEF cavalry.... 

But I am confirmed that the Dismounted Early War German Uhlans are missing in action? 


PM monk2002uk
Standard User
Posts: 236
Dismounted Great War Cavalry
monk2002uk
29th Jun 2026 01:59:58

You're welcome! I do not recall dismounted Uhlanen being available. It will have to be the EW German infantry as substitutes I'm afraid.

Robert


Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Posts: 1244
Dismounted Great War Cavalry
dourpuritan
29th Jun 2026 02:21:32

If  I'm honest, my preference is also1914, which is why I chose12mm with its wide variety of mounted and dismounted cavalry. For British cavalry actions during the Great Retreat take a look at Osprey's British cavalryman versus German cavalryman and also Teenage Tommy, edited by Richard Van Emden and published by Pen and Sword, which gives a first hand account of British cavalry actions and excellent maps for Casteau, Audregnies and Bellewaarde Ridge. Having said the above I am still going to have to convert German hussars using Greenstuff.


A little goes a long way

PM monk2002uk
Standard User
Posts: 236
Dismounted Great War Cavalry
monk2002uk
29th Jun 2026 02:41:40

3D printing is the other way to go. Some 6mm French cavalry:

And German:

Robert


PM Frenchie
Standard User
Posts: 30
Dismounted Great War Cavalry
Frenchie
29th Jun 2026 10:55:20

Thanks Robert; great miniatures and excellent paint job! Did you use any speedpaints or contrasts? 

Would the 3D printed miniatures be compatible with Baccus, ie, using the Baccus Great War infantry, alongside some 3D printed cavalry? I was planning on using Franco-Prussian (FPW) cavalry to substitue, but of course, it would be ideal to have actual Great War cuirassiers, hussars, dragoons, etc. 

Also, thanks dourpuritan - I have just started to paint the 1914 Germans; hopefully will be able to post some photos of the completed / in progress army! 

 


PM monk2002uk
Standard User
Posts: 236
Dismounted Great War Cavalry
monk2002uk
30th Jun 2026 08:56:44

I do use a mix of Citadel, Vallejo and Army Painter speedpaints or equivalent. I then dab/dot highlights with acrylic paints to make the models pop.

3D miniatures can be resized to be compatible as long as they start out as 6mm STL files. Scaling down from 28mm or even 15mm (not that many suppliers provide WW1 STLs at this scale) does not work.

FPW equivalents is a great idea from the Baccus range. The differences are virtually undetectable on-table with 6mm.

Robert


PM Frenchie
Standard User
Posts: 30
Dismounted Great War Cavalry
Frenchie
11th Jul 2026 01:35:16

Hopefully will post some miniature pics soon.... thanks again for your help everyone!


PM monk2002uk
Standard User
Posts: 236
Dismounted Great War Cavalry
monk2002uk
14th Jul 2026 08:13:07

Looking forward to the photos. Very happy to help.

Robert


1
 

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Egyptian Chariots by peter
29th Sep 2026

Turnbacks on British SYW Soldiers by peter
29th Sep 2026

Turnbacks on British SYW Soldiers by Wallenstein
28th Sep 2026

Formatting has returned! by MicroScouse
26th Sep 2026

Insertion Tools by David Kay
25th Sep 2026

UPCOMING SHOWS

The Other Partizan (Newark Showground, Newark)
11th Oct 2026

Fiasco (Royal Armouries, Leeds)
25th Oct 2026

Warfare (Farnborough Exhibition Centre)
14th Nov 2026-15th Nov 2026

Battleground (Stockton on Tees)
29th Nov 2026

LATEST RELEASES

miss - miss


WBT49 -  Churchill NA75WBT49
Churchill NA75

WGP88 - JgPzVI FerdinandWGP88
JgPzVI Ferdinand

WGP53V - PzVG Panther veteransWGP53V
PzVG Panther veterans

WGG06 - sIG33 auf berge HetzerWGG06
sIG33 auf berge Hetzer