> Forums
Reply
1... 1011
> Painting and Modelling > Gallery > Vae Victis
TOPIC: Vae Victis
PM David Kay
Standard User
Posts: 273
Vae Victis
David Kay
30th Jun 2026 05:24:32

Good to see you have had the opportunity to get the troops active again.


PM Frenchie
Standard User
Posts: 30
Vae Victis
Frenchie
1st Jul 2026 11:17:34

I also do ancients wargaming, using Hail Caesar, exactly as written just swapping inches for centimetres. I started out with 28mm, but then went to 6mm to balance the 'paint - to - play ratio' better... unfortunately, I had not discovered at that time how good the Baccus minis are. So my 6mm ancients are resin printed. 

Also, how did you make / where did you buy the terrain? Looks great! 


PM Lee
Standard User
Posts: 8
Vae Victis
Lee
1st Jul 2026 08:16:37

Awesome stuff, a real labour of love.  Certainly inspires me as I prepare to paint my first historical 6mms.


PM Leafs87
Standard User
Posts: 122
Vae Victis
Leafs87
1st Jul 2026 09:39:13

Thanks, folks! Trying to find more time for the hobby. I’d like to start painting and dive into another campaign soon. I’ve got some ideas, but haven’t entirely committed to anything.

Frenchie, get some Baccus figures and mix em in there! Would love to see some pics of your ancients battles :)

The terrain I make myself. That’s half the fun! Buildings and trees (minus the odd store-bought) are usually just made of foam, tooth picks, and cardboard. Not always to scale or supreme quality, but they suit my vision and help bring my lame stories to life. The landscapes I make out of discarded cloth from a local sewing store. Spray can paint, layering, and some patience. I also made some sculpted boards a while back out of foam, plaster and a whole heck of a lot of static grass :)

Lee, good luck on your first foray into 6mm historicals and remember to upload some pics! 

 


PM Frenchie
Standard User
Posts: 30
Vae Victis
Frenchie
4th Jul 2026 03:38:22

Thanks Leafs87! Would love to hear some of your thoughts for your next campaign.

My current 6mm ancients collection (3D printed) is centered around the Samnite & Punic wars - Republican Romans and Samnites having the largest forces (about enough to form 2 Roman & 3 Samnite Divisions), but also smaller Carthaginian, Macedonian / Epirote, Gallic, Numidian and Iberian contingents. These contingents are around the right size for a HC division, or a DBA army. 

I did do a 6mm DBA campaign around a year ago, set in the 2nd Punic War. 

I was thinking about getting some Baccus 6mm ancients for the Teutoburger Wald - using the HC Germania supplement. Imperial Romans and Germanian tribesmen (apparently there are no 6mm suitable 3D models existing for the latter). As they are from a different period from my Punics, there will no scale / style clash, which is highly likely, considering that the 3D printed 6mms that I used for my collection tend to be closer to 8mm in scale. 

However, before looking to new 6mm horizons, I will have to complete my 1914 Baccus German and French armies.... :)

 

 


PM Frenchie
Standard User
Posts: 30
Vae Victis
Frenchie
4th Jul 2026 04:59:13

Another period of ancients that I am intrigued in is the decline and fall of Rome, and Justinian's Reconquest of Italy; covering the 3rd - 6th centuries BC, using Sam A. Mustafa's ruleset Aurelian. Would I be correct in saying that the same late Romans would work for the whole period and also proxy as early Byzantines? 


1... 1011
 

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Egyptian Chariots by peter
29th Sep 2026

Turnbacks on British SYW Soldiers by peter
29th Sep 2026

Turnbacks on British SYW Soldiers by Wallenstein
28th Sep 2026

Formatting has returned! by MicroScouse
26th Sep 2026

Insertion Tools by David Kay
25th Sep 2026

UPCOMING SHOWS

The Other Partizan (Newark Showground, Newark)
11th Oct 2026

Fiasco (Royal Armouries, Leeds)
25th Oct 2026

Warfare (Farnborough Exhibition Centre)
14th Nov 2026-15th Nov 2026

Battleground (Stockton on Tees)
29th Nov 2026

LATEST RELEASES

miss - miss


WBT49 -  Churchill NA75WBT49
Churchill NA75

WGP88 - JgPzVI FerdinandWGP88
JgPzVI Ferdinand

WGP53V - PzVG Panther veteransWGP53V
PzVG Panther veterans

WGG06 - sIG33 auf berge HetzerWGG06
sIG33 auf berge Hetzer