> Forums
Reply
1... 91011
> Painting and Modelling > Gallery > Vae Victis
TOPIC: Vae Victis
PM Leafs87
Standard User
Posts: 122
Vae Victis
Leafs87
24th Oct 2023 03:19:57

Cheers :) 

Just a bit of foam, toothpicks, corduroy, glue, and paint! The quality of this phone camera isn't helping, but they could use a serious touch up...project for another day. 


PM Leafs87
Standard User
Posts: 122
Vae Victis
Leafs87
4th Jan 2024 12:10:04

Happy New Year! 


PM 6mmwargaming
Standard User
Posts: 145
Vae Victis
6mmwargaming
4th Jan 2024 08:55:28

I've just caught up on the whole thread and its very inspirational. BTW what rules are you using?


PM Leafs87
Standard User
Posts: 122
Vae Victis
Leafs87
4th Jan 2024 03:52:51

Thanks, mate :) The project is a few years old now and I'm still getting a kick out of slapping all these ancients onto a field of battle. Been trying to get some new armies mustered (Goths, Germanics, mid-later Imperial Roman) but just don't seem to have the time these days. Eyeing the Baccus catalogue and not entirely sure where to go next...In any event, hoping to have some new combatants to mess around with later in 2024! 

As far as rules: mostly Hail Caesar, but I tinker with home brews every so often. I've never done any wargaming or minis prior to this project and I found that HC, while bloated, was easy enough to start with as a beginner. That being said, I would seek out the advice and counsel of other, more experienced gamers here on the forum for alternative rule sets.

Cheers :) 


PM David Kay
Standard User
Posts: 273
Vae Victis
David Kay
4th Jan 2024 05:51:59

Great stuff - as usual. Good to see other massed ancients battles.

Did you manage to count the number of figures on the table?


PM Leafs87
Standard User
Posts: 122
Vae Victis
Leafs87
4th Jan 2024 06:45:30

A quick tally gives me 1506 metal souls on the field.

Carthage: 729 soldiers

Rome: 734 soldiers

+43 citizenry, militia, misc. 

So just a small affair. 


PM Leafs87
Standard User
Posts: 122
Vae Victis
Leafs87
5th Jan 2024 02:54:32


PM jon1066
Standard User
Posts: 101
Vae Victis
jon1066
5th Jan 2024 10:17:45

Looks brilliant!

What adaptions have you made to Hail Caesar for 6 mm (if any?)  I guess you could play it striaght where a standard unit is say 3 or 4 bases.  That would presumably fit with the frontages given in the rules so everything stays the same (distances, etc?)

Do you play with multiple divisions?


PM Leafs87
Standard User
Posts: 122
Vae Victis
Leafs87
5th Jan 2024 04:01:23

Initially I tried it just as you describe (standard unit made up of three 60x30 bases), as per the unit frontages table, but I found movement around the board/field to be a nuisance. Also, my collection was naturally much smaller when I first started playing, and so I found that reducing the standard unit size to single 60x30 bases was more conducive to the way I wanted to play. I've found that HC accommodates 6mm quite well, so long as you're willing to make a few minor adjustments to unit sizes, movement distance, range, etc. 

And yes: I use 3 divisions per belligerent in my bigger battles and 2 with skirmishes.

Cheers! 


PM Leafs87
Standard User
Posts: 122
Vae Victis
Leafs87
30th Jun 2026 12:16:19

It's been a long time since I have been able to muster my soldiers on the battlefield. Managed to do just that this past week. Remembered to take a few shots before the battle erupted. 

27 BCE. In Rome, change is in the wind: the Senate has awarded Octavian Caesar the title of "Augustus". Those same winds of change are felt East of Gaul, along the Rhine River Valley in Germania. Two centuries of Roman soldiers have been dispatched to deal with an uprising of Germanic raiders, accused of aiding rebel Gauls to the West.


1... 910
 

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Egyptian Chariots by peter
29th Sep 2026

Turnbacks on British SYW Soldiers by peter
29th Sep 2026

Turnbacks on British SYW Soldiers by Wallenstein
28th Sep 2026

Formatting has returned! by MicroScouse
26th Sep 2026

Insertion Tools by David Kay
25th Sep 2026

UPCOMING SHOWS

The Other Partizan (Newark Showground, Newark)
11th Oct 2026

Fiasco (Royal Armouries, Leeds)
25th Oct 2026

Warfare (Farnborough Exhibition Centre)
14th Nov 2026-15th Nov 2026

Battleground (Stockton on Tees)
29th Nov 2026

LATEST RELEASES

miss - miss


WBT49 -  Churchill NA75WBT49
Churchill NA75

WGP88 - JgPzVI FerdinandWGP88
JgPzVI Ferdinand

WGP53V - PzVG Panther veteransWGP53V
PzVG Panther veterans

WGG06 - sIG33 auf berge HetzerWGG06
sIG33 auf berge Hetzer