Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Modelling and Conversions > Base thickness
TOPIC: Base thickness
PM Jonny
Standard User
Base thickness
Jonny
25th Oct 2018 05:33:55

Hi,

After months (if not years) of dithering I’ve ordered a pack of republican roman principes to dip my toe into the world of 6mm. All being well I’ll have recreated the Punic Wars by the end of the 2020s!

I know what base sizes I want to use (90x30... don’t ask!) but I’m in two minds whether to go 2mm or 3mm base thickness. I know handling will be easier with 3mm, but i worry it might be too thick relative to the low stature of the models.

I’d appreciate other people’s take on this. I know the real answer is it’s down to preference but I want to consider it properly before I start supergluing models to bases! Thanks, Jonny.

PM Froggy
Standard User
Base thickness
Froggy
25th Oct 2018 12:13:39

My humble opinion on the matter:

The larger the base size,the less impact the thickness has on the overall appearance. I think it also matters how close to the edge the figures are. Personally, I go for the 2mm size as I think it looks better as well as it may cost less - cost or postage. Yes, I am that tight. I also have "thin" fingers being a weedy office worker so handling small bases is not a problem. But as you have to handle them, they have to work for you, and if 2mm is to thin for you, then handling the bases in a game will become distracting and fiddly. It's a trade off between form and function.

Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
Base thickness
LEmpereur
26th Oct 2018 06:05:02

Hello from France,

We & we write about this on this forum here ! 

And you can see Our 3mm Based Baccus Figures See here !

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

PM Jonny
Standard User
Base thickness
Jonny
28th Oct 2018 06:34:10

Hi,

Thanks for the replies and links! After lots of internetting I’ve ended up going for 2mm, I’ll post a picture when I eventually get something finished!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Paint for Pay by wargameGary
18th May 2024

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by LEmpereur
18th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
17th May 2024

New GNW scenario book by hwiccee
17th May 2024

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by Colin the Wargamer
16th May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS